PDA

View Full Version : Yet another long-time-sitter...

Mr. Pumpkin
07-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey all!

I'm just new here, so bear with me if I haven't gone over everything quite yet. I do my own forum on a completely different subject, and know that there is usually a wealth of information stuck out there in the messages, and I've done some looking already. But since each case is a bit different, here goes on mine:

I have an '85 GSL with (believe it or not) 52k original miles on it. I ran great around 6 years ago, then unfortunately I gained too much weight to feel comfortable driving it, so it didn't come out of the garage for 3 years. I got it out about 3 years ago, and even though there was stabilizer in the tank, it refused to start. So back into the garage it went where it has site for another 3 years now.

Flash forward to the present: I'm thin enough to enjoy the car again, but worried about getting it running. I'm really sure the fuel tank needs drained, and plugs, wires, all other engine electronics need replaced (coils?).

I'm certainly going to take precautions to try to minimize any carbon lock issues and take my time cranking it up at all.

But beyond that, what other recommendations would you all have? Bear in mind that this thing has been a garage queen all her life, never left out in the weather, even for the past 6 years.

Thanks,
Brad