PDA

View Full Version : Blinker issue / searched but nothing similar here...

NewYorkLaw
06-26-2016, 09:19 PM
1985 GS model. Yesterday, the stop light "idiot light" on my dash was illuminating, so I assumed a brake light was out. I parked at my destination and an hour later while driving home, I noticed the blinkers were out. Hazard lights work, tail lights work, brake lights work, and I can find no bulbs out - and the stop light idiot light is not lighting up anymore. The clock is also not functioning properly - it's still showing the correct time, but the minutes portion of the LCD are flashing as though it were a clock that was being set. Except for the clock, the only thing wrong is that the blinkers won't blink. The high beams switch on that arm work.

I am leaning towards changing the relay. I noticed what looks like a normal relay under the dash, but the one that controls the hazard lights is very large and I wonder whether it controls the blinkers too? That one has a harness with at least a dozen wires going to it as opposed to the 'normal" looking one that has 3 or 4 wires.

As a little history, I have owned this car for 9 years and the key in ignition reminder has never worked. I also wonder if that's the same relay (or if my car did not have the option installed). Anyway, should I replace that larger relay or is there something else I should be looking at?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also, if it's that relay, anyone have a part number or a store they recommend that carries it? I would prefer to order the replacement before I remove the old one - it's hard to reach.

Thanks,
Pete