PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an 86 13b n/a for $600 and need some help

88mike
05-20-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm new to this forum and a rotary motor but i recently bought a 86 n/a 13b that runs and drives for $600 last friday. It needs a few kinks worked out and was hoping to get some help. I was going down the road the other day and i noticed the add coolant light was on and i pulled in at th next gas station to add some and i was running a little hotter than usual. So i go in to buy some anitfreeze and as my luck would hae it they just so happened to be out and wouldnt let me use there water hose. so i figured i could make i to the next gas station about 2 blocks down the road and thecar would turn over but wouldnt crank. i finally got it started and got goin down the road and the light came on again i checked thetemp gauge again and i immediatly shut the car off. it wasn't but about a quarter of the way from the top of the gauge but i've dealt with factoy temp gauges in the past and i dont trust them anymore. well i checked the radiator and it had puked all the antifreeze and water out the over flow tank. so i started checking the entire coolat system ireplace the thermostat checked the water pump and its still good the radiator checked out fine along with all the hoses. and it's still some how puking all the antifreeze and water out the over flow for some dang reason and running hot. it's also got some flooding problems from time to time but i pull a fuseunder the hood i think its the egi fuse nt for pos what its called but it will hit a lil bit but still wont crank. i've changed the plugs plug and plug wires had the coils checked out and played with the distributor but nothing has really helped crank it. it also back fires between shifts when i shift on or before 4 grand. i'm leaving for basic in aug and then theres an 90% chance i'll beging to afghanistan shortly after basic and ait so i would like to have he car running before i leave. I would appreciate ay help or ideas you have.

Shaggy
05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the forum. Have you checked all the hoses to see if there is a leak somewhere?

88mike
05-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah i replaced the hoses both radiator caps and the thermostat and checked the water pump. i pulled the T connecter off that connects both overflow lines to the overflow tank pluged one hose at the radiator and left the overflow hose from the motor connected but pulled it off of the overflow and its quit doin it as bad but its still puking water. It's cranking better since i pulled the plugs and put some marvel mystery oil in the plug holes and turned it over with the plugs out. I found out the car needs exhaust gaskets and i'm thinkin thats where my backfire is coming from since it's sucking in cold air in with the hot air and it could also be a part of my cranking problem.

ruddyrid
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
ahh the rotary, i have a similar story with my car. i got it, 87 N/A base model w/ power steering, for a mere 700 bux. i got the thing in like january of 07 and only driven it 3 times.

ok so what i would recommend doing, that is if itll even run properly since they are very susceptible to heat damage, is get a system flush at ur local jiffy lube or something similar. sure its like close to a hundred bucks but its either that or, idk if this'll work, u could take off both the bottom and top water hoses and take off the thermostat and run water through it with a garden hose or something. if ur cooling system is clogged this'll cause the overheating problem and hopefully by doing this you can get every thing out of there.

so yup, its up to you what u want to do with, oh and one more thing since it overheated and now has a hard time starting you should do a compression test w/ a simple compression tester, i cant remember exactly but it should read 95psi, and i think 80 is considered the runnable minimum.

88mike
06-11-2009, 08:08 AM
i flushed it when i put in a new thermostat and water pump. it's pushing water into the rotor housing combustion chamber. i cant find the seals for the rotor housing either so i'm just gonna break down and buy another motor and put it possibly a turbo 2 but i did find a 3 rotor seq boost turbo and wirin harness relitivly cheap havent decided which one yet. Me and my friend own a mech shop so i have everything to put it all in with but neither of us have messed with a rotory before and its all new territory so we're kinda clueless without tearin it apart but i'm pretty positive its got a cracked rotor housing. on your opinon which should i go with the 2 or 3 rotor?