PDA

View Full Version : reliability of a modded and streetported TII???

rx7bluevillain
07-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Im planning on selling my maxima, and getting another RX-7... I want a turbo this time though... I'm looking at this modded turbo two, and I had a few questions. Its got these mods:
87 TII
Rebuilt engine with Atkins Large Streetport
Rebuilt tranny
Full 3" exhaust
3" DP
All intake mods done
All TB mods done
Apex'i SAFC (genII)
Apex'i twin chamber BOV
Walbro 255 FP
680cc secondaries
14.5 lbs. of boost

If I got it, it would be my daily driver, and I would need it to be reliable... i had bad luck with my past RX-7, but Im willing to take the chance again.... first thing I would do is turn the boost down to about 10 or so... but with the mods that it has, if all is in really good condition, would the engine last me, say.... 30K miles?? 40K 50K??? given that I take good care of it, and dont drag it all the time kind of thing....any input is appriciated. thanks in advance!!

Michael

Hollywood
07-23-2004, 05:01 PM
it should last you a year

AusTexRex
07-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Holly blows his motor once a year. Depending on how hard you push the car and who rebuilt it, it could end up lasting you 4. But... 1 would be a good estimate if I were driving it as well.

black rocket
07-28-2004, 03:02 AM
As you've mentioned, reducing a boost to 10psi will greatly increases turbo life. Turbo life expectancy is at about 60K with normal driving.

Rebuilt streetported with 3" exhaust...you'll love the sound. 'Cuz I do. hehe...

Hope you're not driving long distance, for the sake of gas mileage you are about to get.

My opinion is life expectancy of a rotary is how it is maintained and treated. If you abuse it you'll deserve the consequences. Just a plain common sense :D

BTW, good find, man.