PDA

View Full Version : 5 Spd Trans Question

wulf312
05-12-2010, 03:28 AM
My 1991 convertible sounds like it needs a new transmission. With the clutch out in the neutral, you can hear a grinding noise. With the clutch in and the car rolling in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear you can hear grinding again but it quiets down heavily if you shift it in neutral. It shifts fine between gears, but I'm thinking the internal bearings are bad. The car has about 149k on it. I guess my question would is will any 5 speed trans from '86-'91 fit or are the S4s and S5s different somehow?

black rocket
05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Sounds to me more like throw out bearing going. How often do you change your gear oil)

wulf312
05-26-2010, 04:11 AM
A mechanic has confirmed that it has a bad throwout bearing AND bad bearings on the shaft, so the trans does need to be rebuilt/replaced. I have found a transmission of unknown condition for dirt cheap locally, so I want to have that one rebuilt. The owner claims that all n/a transmissions from '86-'91 will fit. Before I spend lots of money and time on a rebuild, is this true?

black rocket
05-26-2010, 05:38 AM
A mechanic has confirmed that it has a bad throwout bearing AND bad bearings on the shaft, so the trans does need to be rebuilt/replaced. I have found a transmission of unknown condition for dirt cheap locally, so I want to have that one rebuilt. The owner claims that all n/a transmissions from '86-'91 will fit. Before I spend lots of money and time on a rebuild, is this true?

I think you should get another quote. How mechanical are you? It's not that difficult to do. Don't let tranny freak you out it's manual and they are simple to work on.

wulf312
05-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Well my brother does transmission rebuild and repair, so he's going to rebuild it for me at no charge. So a rebuilt transmission, clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing, labor to have it installed only adds up to about $500. The only readily rebuilt transmission I could find was $2100 and that was wholesale price! So $500 is well worth it to know that it's a part of the car I'll probably never need to worry about again. Meanwhile, I could have my other transmission rebuilt and sell it for a decent amount, as they seem to be hard and expensive for people to find when needed.

The car has about 149,000 miles on it now. Eventually, I know the engine will give up. So far though it has no oil leaks, does not burn anymore oil than it's supposed to, and runs like a top. Unfortunately there is no "cheap" route around that when it happens, but hopefully it still has a few years left in it. I'm prepared either way.

black rocket
05-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Be sure to use a quality gear oil! Which clutch are you thinking about?

LunchboxCritter
05-31-2010, 01:11 PM
A trans rebuild because of a throwout bearing, and pilot bearing? I honestly do not think you need a new transmission, a rebuilt one, or having yours "rebuilt", if it's the clutch components that are going out.

You can order an exedy clutch kit that comes with a pilot bearing, and throw out bearing for around $120.00. It's sort of a pain to get that pilot bearing out (requires a puller), but the throwout bearing is really simple.

If you are determined to swapping that transmission you'll still have to get that pilot bearing replaced (it's in the engine). You probably want to stick with a trans from an 89-91 model NA car (s5 model non turbo).

If you insist on replacing your transmission I have a good 91 NA trans with 64k on it (removed for TII swap). You can probably find one locally cheaper then it would cost to ship one from Kentucky to Kansas City, MO.

FYI: You can order a JDM S5 TII engine & trans for around $1500 shipped. Fish around and you can find a TII rear for around $400 shipped. Depending on your mechanical skills & tools, for around $2000.00 you could have a TII vert.

black rocket
06-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Look at it this way; if he's getting a rebuilt for $500 including clutch & throw out bearing that's really a good deal as clutch (descent ones) would cost $350 and throw out bearing would be $40 so, not a bad deal really.