PDA

View Full Version : I need help! tips? Please!

jonnylopez
06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Ok so i have a 88 rx7 se 5 speed.

It shakes at 60+ when making a left hand lane change? dont know why?

The shifter has a lot of play? any help?

I also think it has a exhaust leak somewhere? how serious is that?

Anyone know where i can find stock front fenders and bumpers?

black rocket
06-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Shake sounds to me like bushing issue along with front strut, tire balance to me. What do you mean your shifter has lot of play? Can you define that? Exhaust leak could well be from plugged cat, if you have one. Prone area is at exhaust mani area. Hope that helps!

black rocket
06-29-2010, 12:27 AM
And as to bumper and a fender is concerened, you can ck around your local junk yard or give me the specific and I can help!

jonnylopez
06-30-2010, 04:44 AM
the shaking only occurs when its a slight lane change but when it is more than that it stops shaking? so the clog is probably near the manifold area? how do i unclog the cat?

black rocket
06-30-2010, 08:39 AM
the shaking only occurs when its a slight lane change but when it is more than that it stops shaking? so the clog is probably near the manifold area? how do i unclog the cat?

Well, before jump to a conclusion that the cat is clogged you should ck the backpressure at exhaust. Ck for damaged ex pipe and ck for ex leak. Since rotaries have tendency to run richer and unburned fuel and oil will get trapped in the cat which restrict flow. You can choose higher flow cat to minimize plugging but, you also have to consider whether your car would pass smog, too. Ck your plugs and see how they look (burning clean, rich, etc) to correct the problem if any.

As to shaking, since it seem to stop at higher speed I'd look for worn out (22 years old) bushings and I would replace it if I were you. Replacement should also include engine mount, tranny mount. That will stabilize powertrain, and bushings will correct steering and handling.

jonnylopez
07-01-2010, 04:57 AM
should i check up near the engine first or underneath? if the cat is clog do i have to buy a new one?

black rocket
07-01-2010, 06:16 AM
should i check up near the engine first or underneath? if the cat is clog do i have to buy a new one?

Unfortunately, yes. As most counties require smog ck and RX-7 will not pass smog and it's illegal without.

I would ck the underneath for both exhaust and for bushings. Do not rely only on a jack, always use jack stand to secure your vehicle when you are under the car!