PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic question...

BioNuke
07-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Hey guys I used to have an account on here but I don't remember my info for it so I just had to make a new one. I have an 88 'vert sittin pretty at 240k miles original and recently It's been starting to make some funny sounds... The main ones are a high pitched squeal between 45 and 60 (the whole ways then goes away above and below that) doesn't matter which gear or clutch in/out, a loud "thunk" occasionally when letting out the clutch that usually only happens when the car is cold, and finally a loud humming sound when driving that almost sounds like regular tire sounds but alot louder and doesn't change really with speed. That last one is also in any gear incl. neutral with the clutch in or out and usually only makes that sound during the hottest part of the day (I live in the desert so thats been 110 or so lately). I wont have time to work on it for about a month cuz I'm in the process of moving but I'd appreciate any advice/diagnostic help you guys can offer.

black rocket
07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Sounds to me like throwout bearing. And, when was the last time you change your gear oil?

BioNuke
07-30-2010, 03:51 AM
I replaced the whole clutch including the throwout bearing and changed the oil in both the tranny and rear differential @ 190k and changed the oils again at 235k... I added lucas to the oils this last time as well... Is there a way to test the throwout bearing to make sure thats it without taking it apart? I dont have a garage so it's kind of a pain to do :(

black rocket
07-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Did you resurfaced your flywheel and follow the clutch mfr's break in process? I drove like a grandma when I was breakingin my new clutch. How's your slave cylinder?

BioNuke
07-30-2010, 07:21 AM
I didn't resurface the flywheel... Didn't think about it at the time to be honest... That was my first time ever changing a clutch. I've had to replace the master and slave cylinders both probably between 205 and 210k... both had developed leaks. For the break-in it's been awhile but I remember I had to drive nice for awhile. The clutch did slip on me a couple times during that but it hasn't done that since then. I was having to drive about 1.5 miles each way on the worst road I've ever seen for work for a couple years but my job just changed locations so I don't have to do that anymore. I had to replace all my shocks and 1 wheel bearing from that. I was wondering if it might be something in the suspension. I need to replace my brake pads but I don't know what to look for with sway bars, stabilizer arms, bushings, etc to tell if something's wrong there.

black rocket
07-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Have you ck'd your tranny mount? By the time I got to it after shattering my clutch disk there weren't much left for any kind of support.

I, then replaced my tranny mount with semi-solid ones. After that it shifts so much better.

black rocket
07-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Have you ck'd your tranny mount? By the time I got to it after shattering my clutch disk there weren't much left for any kind of support.

I, then replaced my tranny mount with semi-solid ones. After that it shifts so much better.

BioNuke
07-31-2010, 02:36 AM
lol thats funny you shattered your clutch too... I replaced mine cuz I shattered the disk shifting into 3rd with my RPM gauge pegged... I think it was around 9k RPM but the gauge goes to 8 so... that was fun til it blew up lol! the mount is there but I need a new rubber seal between the top of the tranny and the body where the shifter comes through and probably should replace whatever rubber parts cushion the underside. On the way to work today I had my speedometer go dead on me and power steering go out at about the same time... I think it was just coincidence. I haven't taken a look at it yet but I think possibly the power steering just needs fluid... the speedometer cable disconnected itself from the tranny tho I know... it was dragging for a bit so I'm gonna have to tap it back into a circle to get it back on the threads :( now I'm thinking maybe it was the speedometer cable making the squeal, and maybe power steering making the other sound... It's odd tho cuz it didn't make the sound on corners when I was actually turning the wheel. I checked the fluid a few weeks ago so I'm thinking maybe it started leaking since then... I'm gonna go take a look at it now so we'll see

black rocket
07-31-2010, 07:34 AM
LOL Yeah, I was just playing around at the last light when I smoked some yahoo 2 lights in a row and I was simply smoke him and as I shift from 2nd to 3rd I couldn't engage anything thinkingI must've smoked the clutch. Cked thru inspection access and pieces