PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and RX7s

shelbydave
10-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Hey everybody! I'm new here, and will be looking for information on the RX7. I have experience with FWD Turbo Dodges, but I'm looking at an 86 RX7 non-turbo. Did some troubleshooting over the weekend that I'll post up in hopefully the right section.

BoostedFC
10-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, lets us know how your purchase goes. Turbo Dodge's as in 2.2 Daytona, Omni & Charger ect.

shelbydave
10-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Yeah. 1983 Shelby Charger TurboII conversion, and a 2008 Caliber SRT-4. Both are fun to drive.
Actually, the RX7 is mine for the taking if I can figure out why she won't run.

BoostedFC
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
What is the car doing now? Is it not turning over?

shelbydave
10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
It turns over, but there is no spark. I did some "cramming" before my trip down, and here is what I came up with:
Grounds look good. We took them off, cleaned them, and then fastened them back.
The ground on top of the rotor housing ( I read it goes to the computer) looks good, I ohmed it out, and it was a dead short from the ground inputs of the computer to ground.
It appears I get a signal from the Crank sensor, but this was watching a digital meter, which may not be the ideal method, but the only one I had with me.
Wires going from coils / ignitors to the computer checked out good.

That's the Readers Digest condensed version, I have yet to write up details I found in a proper location.

This is a 1986 non turbo. The body is is real good shape, interior is OK, but some plastic needs replacing, so I'm not sure about how available those parts are, and I can't determine anything about the engine until I can at least get spark to get it running.

black rocket
10-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Welcome! Did you ck the coils and wires?