PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is that number?!

Pgentry
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Okay so I've been reading up on gears and gear ratios but I still need a little help, I understand the higher the gear ratio is, the quicker the acceleration is by spinning the driveshaft that numbers amount, in comparison to turning the wheel once...my question is why are people asking if like 3.83 is a good gear ratio for performance (using those numbers as complete example..I have no idea if that's good or not) how do u know what's good performance and I thought each gear has its own gear ratio- why aren't people asking for 5 numbers for 5 gears...? Is it the final gear that they're talking about? And what is that? Hahaha and lastly what gears are good for our curvy triangled motored tranny?..

BoostedFC
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Here's a brief answer. For the 3rd gens (93-up) manual came with a 4.10 & the automatic had a 3.90 from the factory. Now the older model a came with a few other ratios, but if I remember right a common change for the 3rd gen was a 4.30. Some rear end swaps can provide you with a bigger selection of gear ratios like 3.83, 3.91, 4,10, 4.33, 4.56, 4.88 & 5.12 ect. There are more options out there depending on the rear being used. Think of it like this the lower the number the more top end & the higher the number the quicker you get there, but sacrificing the top. Anything more then a 4.30 would not make for a good street gear. Also tire diameter will affect acceleration & speed. As for the transmission gears the ratios determine how long you can stay in each separate gear. I'm sure there is a more defined explanation somewhere on the net, but that should give you an idea. Drivability will be affected when using higher ratios.

Pgentry
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Gotcha, so from what I gather is that the way most 3rd gens stand we don't generally need to adjust our gear set because we got hooked up from factory correct?(Generally speakin for streetabilty)

BoostedFC
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
It all depends really on what you will be doing with the car. If it's intended on being a fun street car with the occasional track track nothing wrong with the factory ratio. If you were leaning towards a drag car then I would suggest 4.30 & up.

Pgentry
01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Okay great thanks man

mathew87
06-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Great i liked it thank you so much for the sharing.