PDA

View Full Version : clutch

mdz
08-18-2004, 03:37 AM
I just started getting a slight noisecoming from my tranny. it goes away when i engage the clutch. could my clutch be going to hell?? any response es would be helpful..94fd :(

AusTexRex
08-19-2004, 01:35 AM
Just double checking but engaging is when your foot isn't on the pedal. Or rather, the clutch pedal is not depressed. Disengaging is when you're pressing on it.

If it's when disengaged then it could be tons of things. Best bet would be to use the access panel and look in the bell housing. Be careful it's full of asbestos (cancer causing dust). When engaged then it's a transmission problem, and will require a rebuild almost guaranteed.

mdz
08-24-2004, 05:00 AM
yea thats what I meant, when I disengage the clutch. I'm not much of a mechanic, and really dont have time to actually do the work myself. I guess the mazda dealership would be the best option around here. I'm going to start with a new clutch, and see what happens from there. Thank for the info.

pr0ject7
09-01-2004, 10:48 PM
clutch throwout bearing.

black rocket
09-02-2004, 05:09 AM
clutch throwout bearing.

Yep, that's what it is.

You're gonna take it to the dealer! They will just eat you alive for what they charge.

If it's throwout bearing, it really won't do you any good looking thru inspection panel (no offense AusTex :wink: )

Do you feel the clutch grabbing OK?

Sure way to tell is drive steadily and see if you feel as if you are being pulled back (sort of speak) and forth (note it's very minute feeling so pay attention). That means your clutch isn't working properly.

Also, how you apply your clutch (high rpm shift, etc.) affects your OEM clutch and pressure plate. I just recently "shattered" my clutch disk and mangled the pressure plate...LOL

Ask AusTex how fun it is to drop rex tranny :twisted:

Hope you won't get screwed by the dealer, as most of my buddies try so hard to avoid them.

AusTexRex
09-02-2004, 04:27 PM
clutch throwout bearing.

If it's throwout bearing, it really won't do you any good looking thru inspection panel (no offense AusTex :wink: )

Looking into it and having it dis/engaged a few times can help you single out where the noise is coming from. But yes, throwout. Unless your clutch is A-OK I'd just replace pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, rear main seal, front and rear transmission seals, and the transmission mount all at the same time. It saves you a lot of time later on.
If you could do it yourself it would be pretty educational, but if you have the money go for it with the dealer. I'm working on a write up for it right now, but I did it a month or so ago, so I've been trying to remember every step.

mdz
09-04-2004, 04:43 AM
I feel the clutch grabbing ok. I've noticed that when I start it, it clicks for a second, then it cranks over. I ordered a street strip ACT clutch from rx7trix.com, and got in yesterday. Next week I'm going to order the prolight flywheel, so I can go ahead and replace them both while I have it out. I found a a shop in Midland Tx instead of the dealership to my work. :| Hopefully they wont screw me over. They seem to be pretty respectable. I think the closest repectable rotary shop is in Garland, Tx( Rotary performance), but thats too far just for a clutch. I'll check back and let you guys know how good these guys do on my car!!! By the way, anyone in the west TX area in these forums? Thanks for the replies.................................

Shaggy
09-04-2004, 05:18 AM
Keep us posted mdz.. ;)

AusTexRex
09-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Make sure the flywheel is counter balancing the two rotors. If you get a non rx7 flywheel it won't mate correctly unless you have a 20B 3 rotor engine. The flywheel is critical in this process

mdz
09-16-2004, 03:37 AM
I finally got the clutch put in On monday(9-13), and well the pressure plate was wore out. I bought the ACT street/ strip clutch kit. and well that didint solve the problem. They throwout bearing was not the problem. I took it to another shop today, and he told me the only thing turning is a bearing that could be wore out (??????) hE WILL tear it apart friday and will know what the hell the noise is friday night. I used the stock flywheel, and just had it resurfaced........................ :x

AusTexRex
09-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Sounds like all is in order. replace the throwout bearing. If thats not it it's probably the slave cylinder.

black rocket
09-23-2004, 03:22 PM
It is also recommended to "bleed out" your old fluid (for master and slave cylinder) annually.

At that time you can invest in s/s clutch line would save you time and effort later... ;)

black rocket
09-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I finally got the clutch put in On monday(9-13), and well the pressure plate was wore out. I bought the ACT street/ strip clutch kit. and well that didint solve the problem. They throwout bearing was not the problem. I took it to another shop today, and he told me the only thing turning is a bearing that could be wore out (??????) hE WILL tear it apart friday and will know what the hell the noise is friday night. I used the stock flywheel, and just had it resurfaced........................ :x

Did you put white grease on the contact point of fork with throwout bearing? And as AusTex said "did you ck your slave"? Maybe it's not engaging properly (i.e., needs to be replaced, as I have not yet found rebuild kit for slave).

Also, did you lube your shifter box?

mdz
09-25-2004, 11:07 PM
I didint do the work, but I went ahead and took my car to a transmission shop 9/20 and he took it apart and told me all kids of S***T was wore out . anyway they are going to rebuild it and will be out in a couple of weeks....... clutch and labor..$850, transmission rebuild....$2,942.00, the joy of owning a 7.................priceless.

Shaggy
09-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that you have to pay that much!

AusTexRex
09-27-2004, 01:34 AM
No, no no no no no. You can buy a transmission for that amount, tell him to go fuck himself he's ripping you off. If you're going to drop 3 grand, get a matched 6 speed. Christ in heaven, 850 for a clutch, no parts are 300, save the money, buy some tools, buy the rebuild kit and the clutch kit, grab an FSM and tear the bitch apart. An rx7 transmission is very very very very simple. DON'T DO THIS!

black rocket
09-27-2004, 01:36 AM
AusTex is right... Or, you can spend an extra $3K for a serious tranny :)

2ROTORMOTOR
09-27-2004, 05:59 AM
OMG are you're serious...thats an outrageuos ammount of money... I dont even think the rx8 tranny is that much from the dealer...
hey let me tell you they will have a party if you decide to pay that much for a rebuild. $850 are you serious.... I could have a six speed sequencial for that much money, or a totally bullet proof drivetrain.....just spend 500 or 400 and get a used tranny.

AusTexRex
09-30-2004, 08:22 AM
http://iscracing.net/clutch.htm
came across that today. Look at the prices for that rebuild.

mdz
10-01-2004, 02:12 AM
its too late , they already ordered the parts, and I've already given him half, they came in today actually. it will be ready next friday, I guess i just got raped....ouch! I have a question though, is the pilot bearing supposed to be back about a 1/4 inch?? from the flywheel bolt??

AusTexRex
10-01-2004, 02:15 AM
yes 1/4 to 1/8

mdz
10-01-2004, 02:16 AM
No, no no no no no. You can buy a transmission for that amount, tell him to go fricken himself he's ripping you off. If you're going to drop 3 grand, get a matched 6 speed. Christ in heaven, 850 for a clutch, no parts are 300, save the money, buy some tools, buy the rebuild kit and the clutch kit, grab an FSM and tear the bitch apart. An rx7 transmission is very very very very simple. DON'T DO THIS!

The clutch was $ 500 from rx7trix, and labor was about $340.00. The clutch was the whole clutch assembly....[/img]

mdz
10-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Cool I was wondering, it didint look normal

AusTexRex
10-02-2004, 12:23 AM
What clutch. My 320 ft/lb clamping street strip ACT clutch assembly was 300

mdz
10-02-2004, 06:29 AM
The ACT street/strip clutch was $499.00 plus the $17.00 shipping fee

AusTexRex
10-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Eek man, I really hate pointing out the times people didn't need to spend so much, but next time be sure to check around for the best prices. Salespersons are very very likely to slash a price with barely any conversation about it.

mdz
10-02-2004, 06:32 AM
I talked to a guy named Brandon, did i GET RIPPED OFF? It came with the alignment tool, pressure plate clutch disc and throwout bearing.

black rocket
10-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Yep...you did :(

What kind of clutch set did you get? Are you getting light wight flywheels, too?

mdz
10-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Yep...you did :(

What kind of clutch set did you get? Are you getting light wight flywheels, too?

The ACT street/strip clutch, I got the factory flywheel resurfaced

black rocket
10-02-2004, 06:58 AM
ACT, I saw one for like $300... http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/default.asp?brandCd=HKS+subcategorycd=IAIR

resurface flywheel $20-$30.

What else was wrong with your tranny?

mdz
10-03-2004, 01:47 AM
They told me that I needed to replace all bearings, 1st, 2nd, 3rd 5th&reverse syncros, the long shaft in the tranny( it was pitted from the wore out bearings), and all the gaskets. I dont know exactly what all else but I know it hasn't been cheep. I took it to Ammoco transmisson if that tells you anything. I think I just paid for the franschise name. I'll get a complete list when I get my car back. The resurface of the cost was $80.00

I went to the web site and the clutch kit was the same price, in fact it was 11.00 more than what I got it for. It was the HD00 clutch kit assembly

black rocket
10-03-2004, 01:59 AM
I'm so sorry to say this but..."you took it to Amoco????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think you just became the franchise's partner. I got tranny rebuild quote from Amoco and I thought I was gonna die laughing.

Hey, we all live and learn...

First time I took my brand new car to the dealer and changed the oil... cost me $300. Took it to the dealer thinking they had to do all kinds of special factory req'd maint :( I got sucked in big time and that was the last time I took my car to the dealer.

mdz
10-03-2004, 02:05 AM
Yep I live in a small town...lesson learned. Next time I'll do a little more research ...

AusTexRex
10-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Ya, sorry bro, you're taking this one up the ass. Live and learn right?

mdz
10-03-2004, 07:55 AM
live and learn. My first hobby was caraudio, which I thought was expensive, but holy shit you come into something new like rotary cars and stuff, and well its a way diff. ball game!

black rocket
10-03-2004, 11:19 AM
live and learn. My first hobby was caraudio, which I thought was expensive, but holy shit you come into something new like rotary cars and stuff, and well its a way diff. ball game!

Yes, rotary maint is expensive...if you take it to a dealer. And just because you take your rex to Mazda dealer it doesn't mean all of their mech are rotary whiz. There is normally one maybe two mechs dedicated to do rotary engine.

My strong suggestion is to get yourself a Mazda Shop Manual (no other) and learn. And I assure you that you'll learn lot from it ;)

And, yes there are many dealer parts that you'll be needing...Just brace yourself when you do.

I get decent discount from my local Mazda dealer but, still price of some parts just blow your mind!

mdz
10-03-2004, 06:42 PM
I got the big blue Mazda workshop manual when I got the car, i've learned alot from it, but you know how is , work 15-16 hrs/day and still have to come home to wife and kids................no time!!!

black rocket
10-04-2004, 07:47 AM
I got the big blue Mazda workshop manual when I got the car, i've learned alot from it, but you know how is , work 15-16 hrs/day and still have to come home to wife and kids................no time!!!

I know what you mean...

Psycho_Dad
12-09-2004, 08:35 AM
3 grand for a rebuild? mate i would have sent you another box from kiwland for $500... no garantees, but im damn sure she would have been a MINTA!
oh well ill just have to stick it in my car instead :D

sorri to hear about the cost man, i hope my next clutch doesnt cost that much :shock:

black rocket
12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Hate to say it but, he got took... :evil: