PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth buying?

landon0076
04-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Im looking at buying an 89 rx7 it has just over 100k on it. When i went and looked at it the guy started it and it ran pretty rough and a little bit of smoke was coming from somewhere behind the engine. He told me it had a blown exhaust manifold gasket would that cause it to run poorly? If that could be the problem how hard
of a fix and how expensive would it be?

BoostedFC
04-14-2011, 06:44 AM
It's worth what you feel like paying for the car. If the seller is asking a certain price that's what it's worth to him. Since the exhaust manifold is on the passenger side of the motor the smoke should be coming from that area if it is indeed the gasket. To replace that gasket not very hard, four bolts on the manifold to block & two to the cat. Pull manifold & replace gaskets then put manifold back. Check the plugs I'm sure they need to be replaced. Let us know what's the deal with the car.

landon0076
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM
thank you for the info very helpful. If the gasket is blown would that cause it to run poorly? Im usually pretty good with cars but have never worked on a rotary befor so any info or anything would be very usefull. And he is only asking 300 for it so if its an easy fix its a steal =p

BoostedFC
04-14-2011, 06:37 PM
$300 is a damn good price for a shell IMO, so if it runs with a few small problems then yes grab it up. I would say that a bad exhaust leak right at the manifold would cause poor running car. This could be a good project car if you decide to put some time & money into the car.

landon0076
04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
ok thank you for the info do you have any tips for me on what to look for i am going to go take a look at it again next weak.

BoostedFC
04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Look for any leaks coolant & oil. Make sure the car doesn't overheat when running, look for slop in the shifter & the basic stuff like belts ect. I'm sure the car will need some work so make sure you are comfortable working on things or have funds to have someone else work on it. Get an idea of what you want to do with the car & research the parts that you want to purchase to get you where you want to be.

landon0076
04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
so it sounds pretty much the same as a regular engine...i'm pretty hand with cars though i have just never worked on a rotary before an i'm kinda exited to get to work on but cant let that influence my decision lol

BoostedFC
04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Same basic things going on only difference is the motor itself. Read up on the motor & ask question if need be. Enjoy the car if you do buy it.

landon0076
04-15-2011, 07:46 AM
thank you for the help

BoostedFC
04-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Yep man anytime. I don't know everything, but I'm pretty resourceful & can find most info I don't already.