PDA

View Full Version : 1987 RX7 NA - not run in 10 years

sar
08-20-2004, 05:30 AM
I have been really interested in the rx7 since I read the howstuff works article a bit more than a year ago; this is my first timeon this board. I am a student and don't exactly have a load of cash, but am looking for something sporty to replace my dodge dakota. I found a 1987 rx7 that a guy is selling for $200.

State
The car is not running. Obviousley, sitting has allowed the gas to seperate and likely rubber seals to crack. The car was driven off a road and needs a new bumper cover, and the repaired (non-painted) fenders have rusted again. The car has 106k miles on it and I can assume it was not driven incredibly heavily. The interrior is very nice looking for an 87.

Hopes in starting the engine
As I do not wish to afford an engine rebuild I went ahead and checked the compression as Aaron suggests. I removed one spark plug and was able to hear pstts as the rotor turned; this tells me that it has some compression. When I took out the spark plug it was filled with seperated gasoline (rusty style) from sitting and a previous interested party trying to start the engone without removing the injection fuse.

My plans for getting it to run would be paying the $200.
-Pumping the gas tank.
-mineral spiriting the injectors
-cleaning or replacing plugs
-wd40ing each plug hole and intake

How do these plans sound?

What is the easiest way to get to the spark plugs? I had trouble getting to the plugs at the angle esp with the AC.

Also, in case this does not work what are some normal prices for 4 wheels, a transmission, a core motor?

black rocket
08-21-2004, 07:49 PM
$200 is ok price for non running rex.

High probability of compression prob. is likely. You can get rebuilt for about $1 - 3K and tranny...stock? Depends.

Good luck and get ready to play in a grease!