PDA

View Full Version : 86 fc runs when it wants to

sidewaysFC
04-29-2011, 02:24 AM
My cousin pulled in to my house a few days ago in his blue 86 na rx7 rell early in the morning and said ''I think I blew a seal''. I could hear it in the back ground running realy shity so we walked over and the moter was shaking like crazy he said he was just driving down the high way and he lost a bunch of power and it started running like crap. then he took it back to his house and as he was leaving it kinda spuderd down the road and was back fireing a lot. then he called me 10 mins later and said it stald when he was pulling in to his drive way and he poped the clutch to start it back up and then it ran fine then I went over after school and he started it up and it ran fine. but now it wount start at all. we checked for spark so far it has spark but this weekend or next weekend were taking the upper intake off and replacing his vac lines and checking every thing out under there.

BoostedFC
04-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Did you all take a look at the plugs & is it overheating?

BTW try this.
Fill coolant system ALL THE WAY UP (engine cold). Make sure that the fluid level is as high as you can get it. Leave the filler cap off. Remove the EGI fuse. Crank the motor (it should not start). If you get a LARGE amount of coolant coming out of the coolant fill, its safe to assume your coolant seals are blown. Also, a good indication is a fuel/exhaust smell in the coolant.

sidewaysFC
04-29-2011, 04:16 AM
that sounds like a realy easy way to check for a blown coolent seal now I know but no he didnt say any thing about it over heating his berly goes passed the c on the temp gage , but is there any thing we should look for wile we have the intake off were already going to be puting new fuel injecters on and new vac lines and im probably going to check his solinoids, and I was also thinking it could be an electrical problem of some sort .

BoostedFC
04-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Possible something electrical or injectors may be stuck, but if you are replacing them then don't worry about that.

sidewaysFC
05-03-2011, 02:14 AM
we tested the compresion today and it dosnt look good. both roters the front 60,20,0 the rear 70,0,0 we put sum atf in it and cranked it and were leting it sit for a day an we are going to test it again tomarow

BoostedFC
05-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Apex seal gone on both rotors or springs stuck. Each seal helps seal two faces of the rotor.

sidewaysFC
05-03-2011, 03:58 AM
I think the apex seals mite just be stuck with carbon if the atf dosnt help by tomarow we mite run something through it to get ride of some carbon would carb and choke cleaner work or would that damge the water seals?

BoostedFC
05-03-2011, 06:11 AM
ATF will break down carbon, but it will smoke like a freight train afterwards. Make sure you turn the motor over to get the effect. I wouldn't use carb cleaner & change the oil after you are done.

sidewaysFC
05-26-2011, 10:34 PM
ok he found out whats wrong with it he put one of those things in the intake duketing that spins when the moters on to spin the air for better gas milge,and it blew up and sent shrapnal through the engine.

BoostedFC
05-27-2011, 04:32 AM
First off those Tornado fan style intake inserts & those electric superchargers are a waste of money & time. 2nd off the are an obstruction in the intake tract. 3rd I have seen test where they actually reduced performance & made gas mileage worse. The are just as bad as those Ebay performance chips.

sidewaysFC
05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I know and that moter only had like 90,000miles on it. those things are stupied. that also explanes why he lost both rotors at the same time.but we are probably going to be puting his other moter in this weekend

BoostedFC
05-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Well assuming that whatever got sucked into the motor didn't damage the rotors housings or irons, the rebuild should be straight forward.

sidewaysFC
05-28-2011, 02:44 AM
he's rebuilding it in the future but for now he has an engine thats just sitting in his garage that he wants to put in it.

sidewaysFC
05-31-2011, 12:56 AM
we took his engine apart last night and found out the problem one of the front apex seals broke in 2 places and screwed up the apex seal grove and put scratches in that rotor housing so the front roter and roter housing need to be replaced.

sidewaysFC
05-31-2011, 12:59 AM
plus we found that one of the water seal jackets broke and the water seal had failed wich is odd because it didnt show and signs of having a blown water seal

BoostedFC
05-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Yep looks like those are no good.