PDA

View Full Version : Few questions

zebatov
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Mazda is displaying the 16x on their site. I'm not sure how far along it is. If it's released yet or not. I didn't really read into it. I'm just wondering if it's a possibility/feasible to make a (what I would assume to be) 24x by adding a seperate housing and all necessary parts.

Also, I was talking with my friend a while ago who's owned and worked on his fair share of FCs and FDs about titanium rotors/rotors made of other metals/alloys. He said titanium is illegal but I'm pretty sure I Googled it and found that you can buy it for around 20-30 dollars a pound. Has anyone heard of anyone using titanium or magnesium rotors?

The Furai, Wiki says "is powered by a new generation 3-rotor wankel engine that puts out 450 brake horsepower". Is the engine just a 24x like I mentioned above? It sounds so sick in the videos I've seen.

BoostedFC
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
To make a 3 rotor version of the 16X you would need these.
1. extra housing
2. extra rotor
3. custom eccentric shaft for the extra rotor
4. another mid plate
5. engine balancing
6. lots of money

The 16X should be a promising motor, but if power is your goal stick with what has already been through R&D. Give it time for this new motor find a place, it isn't even out yet. The Furai is not your typical car & it's closer to the Le Mans cars so Mazda put a lot into it.

Titanium rotors would be too expensive, Mazda had already played around with Aluminum rotors & decided that they would be to expensive. The material is just one part of the equation. You still have the milling, balancing & someone willing to make them.