PDA

View Full Version : stopped running

91mazrx7
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I am having a problem, I was out driving my car it is a 90 rx-7 gxl and it just shut off on me. I put a new fuel pump, spark plugs, and a fuel filter, and niether one of those that i replaced was the problem. It acts like it wants to start but it doesn't. Any help will be great. Thanks alot

black rocket
09-07-2004, 04:56 AM
How about grouding?

Simple, but overlooked, battery terminal clean?

91mazrx7
09-08-2004, 03:54 AM
It has a brand new battery, and the terminals have been cleaned. The past time that we tried to get it running it actually melted the positive terminal. I am pretty good with ford products and this is the first rotory engine that I have every delt with. So there for I am clueless. Thanks agian for the help

black rocket
09-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Sounds to me like you've got a serious short somewhere.

Are fuses all appropriate amp? (hey, never know what people do)

91mazrx7
09-09-2004, 11:40 PM
All fuses are correct and are good.

black rocket
09-10-2004, 06:01 AM
OK I hate it when I ask this question, but what happens when you try to start? Does it click or nothing at all.

Do lights go on?

Other illuminations?

Stereo?

You might want to ck Starter Cut Relay for its contuinity before you go for starter or solenoid.

Ck the altenator?

How are them battery cable look? Are they corroded (you know that copper green sort of oozing out)?

Ck your coil contacts for corrosion and plug wire.

Lists goes on...

What have you done/ck'd so far?

Jinx
09-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Did the car shut off while moving, or did it die when you came to a stop sign? Make sure that you are still getting fuel delivered to the fuel rail. If all the lights are working when you turn the key, and it just turns over and over and over, I would say that you have a fuel problem which will only be compounded, cause if thats not the case you're gonna flood it out. I suggest pulling your fuel line from your primary fuel rail and point it into a deep cup, (not styrofoam) then jumper the fuel pump harness and observe if fuel is coming out of the line. If it shoots out all over the place, congrats it not a fuel blockage.

Replace the fuel line, and secure it. Now pull out the fuel injection fuse and try the unflooding procedure. If the car doesn't start after you've checked the fuel and spark and both of those check out fine, it may be time to get someone over to help you. Let us know what you find out.

AusTexRex
09-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Turn the engine over using the starter a lot. If you smell fuel, it's not fuel. (unflood)
It sounds to me like a short, or a lack of spark. Go over all of your lines to make sure nothing is touching. Check your coils, check all electrical

84gslse
09-27-2004, 04:36 PM
this happened a million frickin times in my 84 se check your fusible links....hope it helps

Jinx
09-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Any update on this?

AusTexRex
09-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Check the dates, it was like 3 weeks ago. He must've gotten the help he needed.

Jinx
09-29-2004, 11:19 PM
I see the dates, just wondering if he'd given up hope.