PDA

View Full Version : Fb + Renesis?

Jay
03-27-2004, 06:03 AM
Has anyone attempted swapping a Renesis engine into an Fb yet?

2ROTORMOTOR
03-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Has anyone attempted swapping a Renesis engine into an Fb yet?

You know its not really worth it to swap the renesis engine. The engine is too much money. For alot less money you could have a turbo engine with douple the power the renesis puts out TO THE WHEEL!!!!

Shaggy
03-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Whats the size of the Renesis engine? Are you thinking about doing it?

2ROTORMOTOR
03-27-2004, 06:15 AM
its a 1.3

Shaggy
03-27-2004, 06:23 AM
Whats the cost on it compared to a turbo?

Jay
03-27-2004, 06:23 AM
I'm not a big fan of turbos for drifting. No, I'm not considering doing it. That engine has to cost a small fortune. I just figured somewhere out there, someone has too much money and might've done it.

2ROTORMOTOR
03-27-2004, 06:37 AM
I think turbos are awesome for drifting, they enable the car to have the low range torque in order to spin the tires that it normaly wouldnt have. but I guess if you have a high HP N/A engine then It wouldnt matter.

Jay
03-27-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm just more comfortable w/ NA. Mainly b/c I've never drifted a turbo car. It seems like the sudden onset of power would be difficult to control.

2ROTORMOTOR
03-27-2004, 06:49 AM
I'm just more comfortable w/ NA. Mainly b/c I've never drifted a turbo car. It seems like the sudden onset of power would be difficult to control.

Its a lil differnt than n/a since its not making straight line power like the n/a. But if you actually try it a couple times you realizes its alot easier than an n/a car.

Jay
03-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Well lemme borrow your car to test it! :) I promise I won't ram it into anything.

Speaking of cars... Shaggy, is that your car in your avatar?

2ROTORMOTOR
03-27-2004, 07:03 AM
maybe one day. But yea thats Bryans car. Its fukin awesome

Shaggy
03-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Yea its my car...and thanks....but it cost me a pretty penny to get it that way...:( :)

Jay
03-27-2004, 04:18 PM
That has to be one of the hottest RX7s I've ever seen. I don't even wanna think about what it cost. I'm sure you don't either!

2ROTORMOTOR
03-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I agree

Shaggy
03-27-2004, 08:01 PM
:D....you don't even want to know...:)

AusTexRex
04-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Noone has swapped it yet because it's basically a waste of time as has been said before. Soon enough there will be turbocharging kits for the FE's (rx8s) and it might be done, but I doubt it. Those same turbo kits won't work for the swap either as the FE's engine bay is too crowded to fit a turbo in easily, so whoever makes the kit will be doing so very conservatively. Something an FB doesn't have the space for.
Supercharging the renesis on the other hand is a magnificent idea and is being done to a lot of FE's right now. It can add anywhere from 80-120 more HP depending on the type of supercharger and how well the job is done. Supercharging as with Turbocharging is one of those things that will be increasingly beneficial as other mods are slapped onto the car to free things up or boost power.
In short: no it hasn't been done yet.

Shaggy
04-12-2004, 08:16 AM
Hey thanks for the input Aus...hope to see you here more often!!! :D

2ROTORMOTOR
04-13-2004, 05:49 AM
There are a couple of people that have turbocharged the 8's and yea there is hardly anyspace to put the turbo in a traditional position but the ones that I've seen put it infront as if it was on longitutional engine layout.

AusTexRex
04-13-2004, 10:23 PM
There are a couple of people that have turbocharged the 8's and yea there is hardly anyspace to put the turbo in a traditional position but the ones that I've seen put it infront as if it was on longitutional engine layout.

Right, which is the inherent problem. It almost negates itself unless you're running high amounts of boost, because your exhaust has to recirculate all the way around and the intake temps are pretty bad. I've never heard of them turbocharging the 8's because of this, but I've seen and installed superchargers on them. Electric ones because we couldnt really find a space for a belt driven one.

Shaggy
04-13-2004, 11:41 PM

Right, which is the inherent problem. It almost negates itself unless you're running high amounts of boost, because your exhaust has to recirculate all the way around and the intake temps are pretty bad. I've never heard of them turbocharging the 8's because of this, but I've seen and installed superchargers on them. Electric ones because we couldnt really find a space for a belt driven one.

Well...how did it go, did it work out ok??

AusTexRex
04-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Well...how did it go, did it work out ok??

Oh yea, We're estimating about 100hp more with the extra work we've done to it so far. We're awaiting some parts before we finish it and dyno. Right now it pulls pretty hard though.

Shaggy
04-14-2004, 12:12 AM
No major problems to it yet?

AusTexRex
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
No major problems to it yet?
Unless a constant 5psi extra intake is a problem, no. :wink: Although I don't really like superchargers due to the constant compressing. We can break the back tires loose easier now, which is a byproduct of the added power, AND the fact that it's a constant addition and not an rpm based thing.

2ROTORMOTOR
04-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Just because the exhaust has to flow longer doesnt mean it looses power... It just means that there is gunna be a bit more lag, and depending on turbo, DP, exhaust.. theres gunna be a bit more back pressure, but if the setup uses ext wg. then the backpressure becomes releived as soon as it reaches max boost, which is when it really matters..
Im all for turbos, even though with a SC you make linear power, a turbo is all gain and no loss. And there are unlimited setups available depending on what you want, unline with SC, or PC which there is only a couple different setups if that.. plus turbos are more user friendly and yeild the best results...

AusTexRex
04-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I prefer turbos over superchargers any day of the week, but so far I haven't seen an effective bolt on turbo on the rx8. I've seen a few that are more trouble than they're worth, and I've seen superchargers that were installed in less than an hour, including tuning times.
Right now without adjusting a lot of crap and removing pieces a TC on an rx8 just isn't as straight out beneficial (with little drawbacks) as an electric SC.
There are on the other hand a number of companies working on a turbo setup that will require some maneuvering, and a complete replacement of the stock intake that from what I've seen looks like a damn good setup. I just don't think that sending exhaust air all the way to the front of the stock intake is a good idea at all, it'll heat up your entire engine bay and exhaust temps CAN reach past 1000 degrees. I've seen turbo's glowing red before, and having that resting on all the plastic shit in RX8's isn't too cool.
Turbos > Superchargers. But not yet for the rx8