PDA

View Full Version : New owner, and I've got some issues

athikerguy4life
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey guys! So like the title says, I am the new owner of a 1984 RX7. First off, I love the car. I have a 12a 5spd. I'm currently in the process of restoring the car, and I've started with the interior.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc439/athikerguy4life/P7221139.jpg

I ripped everything out (carefully) and I am repainting/upholstering all the trim as well as putting in new carpets, headliner, etc. The main snag I've hit so far-the stereo.

My car came with a factory stereo, but no EQ, and nothing works. I dont get any lights or noise when I turn the car on. It would appear that its just not doing anything. The power antenna *sometimes* pops up, but sometimes it doesn't. My first idea was to just go out and get a replacement, but for 1st gen RX-7's., they are apparently quite hard to find. So here is my question: Can I install a 2nd gen stereo in my 1st gen RX? I've found a couple that are reasonably priced on Ebay and my local pick and pull has one as well. Aside from the stereo/eq, what else am I gonna need? All my harnesses are intact, and it appears that most of the harnesses that plug into the 2nd gen stereo are identical, but the amps are different.

If this can't be done, I suppose I'll just get a single din aftermarket job and hide it in the glovebox so it doesn't stick out, but I'd really like to have an OEMish stereo in the dash. I think they look pretty cool. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading! I hope to become a member of this community!