PDA

View Full Version : NOOB Alert: Seeking help from rotary community...

masticatingcow
10-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker, new post here...

I have read through the FAQs on this site regarding the FC3S, and still have a general question. Keep in mind that I am new to the rotary engine, so...

A friend of mine is selling his 86 FC for $400. The immediate question is "what's wrong with it?" Well, for starters, the rear body panel behind the driver is pretty badly dented. However, it's purely cosmetic; both the rear axle and frame are straight. Secondly, the high beams do not work. If you play with the switch long enough, then yes, they come on, but the dash lights go out. The driver's door doesn't match the body color, one of the rims is bent (still drivable) and I think there is an exhaust leak. The car has 130,000 miles on it and still runs pretty well. In fact, a lot of the "problems" I thought it had (like high-RPM starts) turned out to be normal RX-7 behavior. So, assuming he is able to pass CA smog this month, I want to buy it.

This will not be my daily driver; I have a 240sx for that. But as a project car, is it worth it? How steep is the learning curve considering the rotary engine and, let's face it, the significantly more sophisticated electronics equipment, from my Nissan?

AusTexRex
10-06-2004, 05:50 AM
As a project it's sure worth it. Though a couple things:
Always careful buying from friends, a car is not worth a relationship
No such thing as a "driveable" bent rim. It'll get you killed.
Get it compression tested. Compression reveals all.

black rocket
10-06-2004, 07:54 AM
How did that rear quarter got dented so badly without being more than cosmetic?

Shaggy
10-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Well, did your friend own that car from the begining? Ask him more questions about it.

Also, Aus has a point..be careful whne paying a car from a friend. It could ruin your friendship.. ;)

masticatingcow
10-07-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. The car is slightly out of alignment and I'm aware I'll have to replace the wheel ASAP, but that's (I think) a relatively simple fix. The panel basically collapsed into the wheelwell. I'll attach a pic of the damage. As I said, the door doesn't match and that's exactly why: the original one took a majority of the impact. Hard to believe, but the frame is straight as an arrow nonetheless.

I understand your collective concern about buying from a friend... but he and I are operating on the premise that the car will need lots of TLC to get back to where it should be, and that he simply doesn't have the time or knowhow. He is the second owner, the first being a middle-aged man with a complete set of maintenance records, which I have complete access to.

PS. I bought my 240sx from a friend, and despite replacing the clutch hydrolics, all the fluids, all the EDIT: [brake] rotors and a head gasket, he and I are still close... and this is on my daily driver!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847337/carr.jpg http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/847337/car1.jpg

Shaggy
10-07-2004, 05:10 AM
Well, the question is, are you willing to shell out $400 for it. If you are (and you know the work that it needs and the cost of that work), the go for it. It could be a fun hobby car. It will help you learn more on how to fix these rex's up.. :D

black rocket
10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I thought the damage to the rear quarter was BAD...as I see the pic, that's not bad at all. ;)

Have fun with your new project!

Canaduh
10-07-2004, 06:59 PM
i'd go for it, im sure if you get fed up with it, you could get more then 400$ from it anyways. Just look around on the forums for sites to go to that will show you what to look for and what not. :D

masticatingcow
10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm in the process of finalizing what the increase in my insurance would be. If it's significant, I'll probably just set up a PNO for the time being, but yeah, from what I've gathered here and through the previous threads I've been through, this will be a good thing.

Thanks everyone, and I'm sure I'll be posting more in the future!

Canaduh
10-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Anytime :D Goodluck with it.