PDA

View Full Version : Suspension goodies

Jay
03-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Where's the best place to get suspension goodies for an FB? I'm building the car for drift and civility doesn't really concern me. The stiffer, the better. My kidneys can take it!

Shaggy
03-27-2004, 09:10 PM
I got EIBACH lowering springs and Suspenison Tech sway bars on mine and it has a some what pump ride...but not to bad.

Jay
03-27-2004, 09:20 PM
I know the RX7 is a great platform for drift, but in the US, everyone's obsessed w/ 240s and AE86s. Hell, I can find more info about drifting a Skyline than I can the ol' Savannah.

I'm sure the info is out there, but it's prolly written in Japanese. :(

2ROTORMOTOR
03-28-2004, 02:54 AM
Theres a good reason there is hardly any info on rx7's used for drifting... The reason is cus out of the box its really hard to get the tail to come around. The rx7s suspension stock, is very unique. The are several bushings and sways that are ment to keep the car on a str8 path. Its actually hard to bring the tail over the front, which is necessary to execute proper drift manuevers. Its alot easier for a 240, supra, s2000 to make the tail come around, because of their setup.

Jay
03-28-2004, 05:17 AM
There are plenty of them used in Japan. Once you stiffen up the suspension, the near-50/50 weight distribution makes it very easy to control.

I think its just too much to ask Americans to appreciate something without pistons. :)

2ROTORMOTOR
03-28-2004, 08:24 AM
There are plenty of them used in Japan. Once you stiffen up the suspension, the near-50/50 weight distribution makes it very easy to control.

I think its just too much to ask Americans to appreciate something without pistons. :)

No I know there are, but I was just answering your question on why 240's and supras were are more popular.

rx7gslse
05-04-2004, 03:50 AM
You want stiff?

Go for ground control... Those coil overs you can specify whatever spring rates you want... I run 350f/150r on my 1st gen... Good setup, and still streetable..

Some of the hardcore guys run closer to 500/200

damnitsfrancis
05-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Theres a good reason there is hardly any info on rx7's used for drifting... The reason is cus out of the box its really hard to get the tail to come around. The rx7s suspension stock, is very unique. The are several bushings and sways that are ment to keep the car on a str8 path. Its actually hard to bring the tail over the front, which is necessary to execute proper drift manuevers. Its alot easier for a 240, supra, s2000 to make the tail come around, because of their setup.

i herd there are more rx-7's used for drag racing and not really drifting. but there are people who drift with em of course 8)

mar3
05-06-2004, 08:49 AM
The reason you don't see more 1stgens is because you need an abundance of torque to drift with the throttle. And that means $$$ which historically is just about every 1stgenr's weak spot. Get some nice thin rock hard tires and you'll be drifting in no time with no regard to what you did for suspension tweaks...

AusTexRex
05-06-2004, 08:21 PM
If you were to get harder tires you'd need to take them off for normal driving as not to kill yourself. Because I know it's hard to keep your foot off the pedal some times.

rx7gslse
05-06-2004, 10:46 PM
eh? drifting a 1st gen is easy because they *are* so tail happy... esp the 79-83s. In 84+ they relocated a coupel of the rear suspension mounting points to tune out a bit of the tail happiness.

Torque? ok, that could be a problem, but having driven most of the cars on the list (and even my roomates old vaunted AE86) I'm going to to say the the 1st gen is easy....

mar3
05-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Were you drifting at MSR? lol...poor bird