PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem in 88 Vert

djaaronp
10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I need some help diagnosing my problem.

I push the clutch pedal in and it does not return but maybe about 2 inches. When the pedal is pushed in, the clutch is NOT released (trying to start in first gear stalls the engine).

The fluid in the resivoir is black.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing Master/Slave cylinder. Can someone help me figure out how to diagnose to figure out which one is bad?

Thanks guys!

black rocket
10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
First, ck for the leak around your master and I highly suggest you change that hydraulic fluid. then follow your line and ck your slave.

And be sure to eleminate all the air bubbles when you bleed the system.

FYI, hydraulic fluids must be changed periodically for optimal quality, consistency and volume.

djaaronp
10-26-2004, 04:51 PM
It didnt look like a leak anywhere. Just dark fluid. I'm thinking the seals in the cylinders disentegrated and thats causing the black coloration and possibly a block in a line and/or air bubble

AusTexRex
10-26-2004, 04:55 PM
First off change the fluid the ford stuff is good. Second check the slave and make sure the plunger is fit correctly into the hole (by feel since its in the rubber), they can come out a fair amount.

If that doesn't work then its one of two things. Something blocking the throwout bearing, or a bad slave.

djaaronp
10-26-2004, 05:05 PM
On the slave are you talking about the thing that comes out toward teh back of the vehicle (i'm assuming thats the part that actually releases the clutch)?

How will I know if it fits correctly? I've never done clutch/cylinder work except bleed the lines.

black rocket
10-26-2004, 06:00 PM
OK, you can see slave working by cylinder protrudes as you press the clutch. Of course your buddy has to either press the clutch to see its movement or visavera.

Slave is the actual "mechanism" to release the clutch...

BTW, when did this soft clutch pedal started?

Also, I'd clean throughly and if you can afford it buy yourself a s/s clutch line. It's only about $18-30.

And If everything cks out OK...It's high probability that your clutch may needs replacement :(

Ask AusT and I what a fun it is to do clutch replacement ;)

BTW, it's always a plus if you have an extra hand or two to do the job! AND "tranny jack"

djaaronp
10-26-2004, 06:23 PM
the clutch should be fine.

there is a problem with pressing the clutch though. The pedal does not return, and when I pull it back there is just loose play between the top position and the floor. it just pushes back with no resistance (not doing anything with the clutch).

The "soft clutch pedal" symptom started on Friday when I was driving in bumper to bumper traffic on the interstate and it was quite hot.

I didnt drive it at all over the weekend except home on sunday (which was fine, no problems at all). Monday morning drive to work was fine and on the way home on Monday it just stopped, wouldnt work at all.

black rocket
10-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Is the fork lined up right with slave? You can see if slave is pushing the fork.

Though I'm telling you from experience... That is exact scenario when your clutch goes :(

At first, I thought it was my master, then slave...(knowing there's no leak anywhere, calls it a wishful thinking).

What would be obstracting throwout bearing would be puzzling and freightening thought but, you can inspect that thru inspection panel.

AusTexRex
10-26-2004, 08:34 PM
That sounds like the spring that retracts the plunger broke. The plunger is the rod that extends towards the release lever, or the back of the car, whichever helps you most.

Its either not fit into it's hole correctly, or the spring is broken.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a torch or plasma cutter by chance? lol, I need to get my precat off on friday.

black rocket
10-26-2004, 08:44 PM
BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a torch or plasma cutter by chance? lol, I need to get my precat off on friday.

Why bother with plasma or torch?! Just tie it to the tree and drive off...LOL

Sorry, I just had to.... :twisted:

Back to the topic. Ck your slave for its functions first after change that dirty fluid..... :(

AusTexRex
10-26-2004, 09:28 PM
I value my turbo. lol.