PDA

View Full Version : Driving a RX7 as a Daily Driver?

lookatme
11-02-2004, 05:18 PM
I currently own a 99 Honda prelude. I don't have any major complaints with the car...except the tranny is a little unforgiving at stop lights when trying to shift into 1st. I have been looking at two cars, the 93+ rx7, and an E36 M3. My forte' is handling and is why I own one of the best FWD handling cars. Its time for me to step up to a RWD car but am worried about the practicality of the rx7.

Can this car be used as a Daily driver? Does it have enough room to even get groceries? Do you drive it as a daily driver? is it reliable enough?

I will be modifying the engine some if I do buy one...and ultimitely it will be tuned by a professional. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks.

AusTexRex
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Rx7s are as reliable as their drivers. Don't overheat it, don't remove the undertray without having some sort of funnel to get the radiator it's air, don't abuse it and you'll be fine. My car has 130k miles on it, it's a turbo engine, the turbo is fine, the engine compresses perfectly and I have a minor 2nd gear synchro problem that is dealt with by shifting less forcefully on average driving.
I autocross my car, I drag my car, I abuse it sometimes for fun.

Yesterday I drove 100 miles each way to my home town and to drop my girlfriend off at her house. The only stop was her house, and the gas station. I do this at least once a month, and I make the 100 mile drive about once a week. I also drive it around town.

The cars are perfectly reliable, just take care of it like you should an 18 year old car and don't be an idiot and it's all good.

Change oil, replace exhaust, replace filters, replace hoses, check your wiring and the car is perfectly fine. Hell their usually fine as long as the oil has been change religiously.

btm7687
11-18-2004, 05:19 AM
I currently own a 99 Honda prelude. I don't have any major complaints with the car...except the tranny is a little unforgiving at stop lights when trying to shift into 1st. I have been looking at two cars, the 93+ rx7, and an E36 M3. My forte' is handling and is why I own one of the best FWD handling cars. Its time for me to step up to a RWD car but am worried about the practicality of the rx7.

Can this car be used as a Daily driver? Does it have enough room to even get groceries? Do you drive it as a daily driver? is it reliable enough?

I will be modifying the engine some if I do buy one...and ultimitely it will be tuned by a professional. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks.

Wow,

lookatme, do you remember me from superhonda.com? I got pissed off by everyone there so I asked to be banned so I would have a reason to never come back. I thought you had the name l00katme or something. Anyway, you were one of the people I liked on that forum. But to answer your question, I can't say I know much about the FD's considering I don't own one, but generally you hear that they break down...a lot. But as AusTexRex posted, it will be as reliable as you drive it.

efini_kid
02-13-2005, 12:58 AM
if u drive nicely and like to pay for a lot of gas... its a great daily driver and u get lots of looks as well

Farani
02-19-2005, 07:57 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't drive my FD as a daily driver and I wouldn't want to drive a largely modified one. Rotary's can be very finicky. There really isn't a lot of room in it either. I mean, it's a sports car. You have a very small *trunk* where the hatch is. Besides that you have to put stuff on the passanger seat. IMO, I'd stay away from FD's as daily drivers. You'll get other people saying it's no problem, I guess it's just preference. Oh, and gas mileage will suck, too.

black rocket
02-19-2005, 07:35 PM
My FC gets 10 ish mpg with my "normal"driving :) Same goes for FD...all depends on how you drive it and how you maintain the beast.

As to daily beater...I don't have much room to speak since it's a fair weather w/e and I don't drive it during winter season.

But, I know many out there do drive them as a daily... All depends on proper care, whcih goes for ANY vehicle you drive ;) .

dRuNk-mEdIc
02-23-2005, 03:56 AM
The RX7 is a manly sports car. It has only two seats so you dont have much room in back. The trunk is a medium sized as of groceries. The car is not a family van nor a family utility veichle. It has every aspect of a sports car and has wonderful control as well as power. If you do get an RX7 you won't be discouraged.

JustinStrife
02-26-2005, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't drive it as a daily driver just because of the gas mileage. :D

My Nissan S14 I plan on keeping the DD and the FD I'll be shopping for next year will be for weekend pleasures. (Handling and style that can't be beaten)

black rocket
02-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Sounds like a plan!

dRuNk-mEdIc
02-27-2005, 02:24 AM
What sounds like a plan?

AusTexRex
02-28-2005, 10:47 PM
What sounds like a plan?
My Nissan S14 I plan on keeping the DD and the FD I'll be shopping for next year will be for weekend pleasures. (Handling and style that can't be beaten)

03-12-2005, 02:42 PM
im currently debating the same situation in my head...could get a MKIV for 20's and have a rock solid beast or buy a FD for half that but deal with its "character" and get shitty fuel economy...eh, decisions decisions...

black rocket
03-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Though I hear MKIV can turn into a serious beast..., but, charactor is always nice :wink:

If you're ripping a pavement why worry about gas mileage in a first place? :twisted: Unless, of course, it's going to be your daily beater as well.

AusTexRex
03-13-2005, 07:34 PM
the MKIV won't have that superior of city gas mileage, and on the highways I get anywhere from 25-30 mpg if I'm just cruising.

The MKIV is a highway queen, it can rip serious pavement from a roll but from a stop it just doesn't have the control, consider it kind of like a motorcycle that you couldn't lean on. If you were going fast would you just try to turn the handle bars on a turn?
No, because you'd slide right off the road, and that is what MKIVs do at higher speeds.

If you want an all around vehicle the FD is best, if you want something that smokes a lot of cars on the highway then get your MKIV

black rocket
03-13-2005, 08:04 PM
If you want an all around vehicle the FD is best...

I truly agree there. It's comparison between "a passion fruit" and an apple. (didn't want to use oranges, and FD represented as passion fruit due to its uniqueness) :)