PDA

View Full Version : should i buy ?

slipknotma66ot6
11-02-2004, 07:59 PM
I have recently started looking to buy a car and i have came across a 1987 rx7 i really wanna buy this car ive done talked to the owner over the phone about it according to him everything is fine with the car and runs great, The reason i am posting is there anything i should worry about with the rx7 because ive talked to a few of my friends and they said the engines arent to good on them here is a link check it out
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=172990391&dealer_id=40271792&car_year=1987&make=MAZDA&distance=50&max_price=1900&model=RX7&end_year=1997&advcd_on=n&min_price=1000&address=40391&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1985&color=&cardist=14

black rocket
11-02-2004, 09:59 PM
It has 107,000 miles...

As I mentioned somewhere here that rule of thumb on rotary engine life span is at about 160K. Though, I've heard people are driving their rex with over 200K on their rotary.

Do you know anything about working on cars (no offense) especially rotary?

If you're planning on taking it to a shop you'll be paying pretty penny for parts and labor for it.

And if you proceeds to buy that vehicle...looks good btw, ck for compression and see if seals are OK. Ck for smoke coming out of the exhaust...color and etc. How bad is oil leak, feel the texture of oil and ck the back of the oil cap and see if you see any smudgy texture (shows if oil has been contaminated with coolant) ck all the hoses...they are also pricy, and other common mechanical ck.

Good luck and welcome!

Canaduh
11-03-2004, 07:03 AM
YEah what black rocket said. :D Goodluck with it.

slipknotma66ot6
11-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info, And i do know a bit about cars just not rotary engines to be completly honest i never heard of a rotary engine until like a week ago and im just now finding out how they work and its interesting. I am supposed to go test drive it tomorrow and see how good the car actually is. And once again i would like to say thanks for the info i had no idea rotary engines had a 160k life span

DarkAngelKamui
11-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Hmm, i'd have to say the life span varies on the type of use the owner has in store for it and how long it's been sitting prone.... time and/or excessive stress on the engine are surefire ways to lead to a quicker ending....

In my case, time was the true killer.... my TII only has 97K, yet it's got 80 on the front and 60 on the rear... (just to note, if you already didn't know, a perfectly healthy rotor is 120 PSI on each side.... 90 or higher is acceptable.... anything less, time to start saving pennies) It had sat in a lady's driveway for a full year, flooded and drained of power no less... :(

I'd ask the person selling it about maitenence history, and for god's sake, bring along a compression tester.... lol, unless you plan to do heavy engine work on it anyway.... Also, if the engine refuses to start up or even turn over, i'd look elsewhere... totally not worth your time, due to who knows what internal damage lies within....