PDA

View Full Version : might be buying a 87 turbo ii

84gslse
04-11-2004, 07:39 PM
hey guys i found a mint condition t2 here in great falls montana, 17xxx original miles, black, maroon interior, stock kenwood cd and tape deck, rims, i am going to get the loan from the bank and test drive it monday its bad as hell, and if all goes well i might have 3 grand to dump money into it

Shaggy
04-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Nice....is this the original owner of the car, what color is it?? Sounds like a nice car with only 17,000 original miles on it. Is there any damage to it?

Get us somepics of it when you get it.

Good Luck.. :)

2ROTORMOTOR
04-11-2004, 10:47 PM
make sure you check the vin number with carfax, cus an 87 with 17000 miles sounds a lil crazy.. but if everything checks out good then go for it..

Shaggy
04-12-2004, 05:16 AM
Great idea Martin. Funny thing is my father-In Law just bought a '84 Camero and it has 17,000 origianl miles. Everything looks new on it...great car..and a great find!!

Check CarFax like Martin said.....then go for it if everything checks out ok..:D

AusTexRex
04-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Nice....is this the original owner of the car, what color is it?? Sounds like a nice car with only 17,000 original miles on it. Is there any damage to it?
Good Luck.. :)
He said it was black with maroon interior.

My word of advice to you, take it or leave it, is to get both rotor's compression tested. Anything above 100 is good. anything above 90 is somewhat acceptable. I wouldn't buy anything under 100.
Also you can pick up a nice interior'd TII for 500 bucks with a blown motor. Send the motor to a guy named Kevin Landers who will rebuild it for 1000 and it will run good as new then drop it back in and boom.

The problems with 17,000 original miles:
-It's possible but unlikely (I know a guy with 12,000 on his 87 vert
-Rotary engines aren't conventional in many ways, they need to be revved to high rpms every once in a while, and pushed on. Raced engines aren't bad on rx7s. Although raced trannys and such.. eww.
-17,000 could mean it sat a lot, which can lead to corrosion of many parts, carbon buildup on the rotors themselves, sitting oil in the system without being changed for months on end... the list goes on.
Get the car compression tested and if it read 100+ on both rotors it's a good engine and you can buy at peace with the engine. The rest of the car may be different though.

84gslse
04-16-2004, 12:04 AM
yeah from the looks of it i believe it only has 17k miles, engine bay is flawless, guage cluster is perfect, not one tear in the interior, not one rust spot or scratch, i mean this is by far the cleanest rex ive ever seen out of any generation. but ill be going tomorrow to try and test drive it it was raining today so i couldnt drive it, but ill definitely get it compression tested and carfaxed before i get it

84gslse
04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
so how much boost can the 13bt handle stock or say with upgraded apex seals?

AusTexRex
04-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Too much to even worry about.
The engine itself is quite strong. If you were to blow a seal just get it rebuillt and have it ported. Total that's like 1.5 grand. It shouldn't blow a seal though.

RotorHead
05-03-2004, 04:37 AM
You can boost only as much as it will let you if it's completely stock. You wont get much if there's no intake or exhaust mods on the car. Otherwise, it's like the turbo is sufficating. I think max lbs. of boost you can get out of a s4 TII completely stock, is 14 lbs. ( I could be wrong, but that's what I've been told). So turning it up all the way won't make much difference, until you get those mods on your car. Even then, I wouldn't boost over 14 lbs. unless your motors built to handle it. Or you will chunk out a seal. :wink:

2ROTORMOTOR
05-03-2004, 10:42 PM
I think that by now there isnt a completely stock s4 turboII around, atleast as far as intake and exhaust go... just make sure you got an intake and exhaust in your car before you start boosting, atleast put a good intake on it. I forgot it has 17k miles, before you start fuking around with it just drive the car a bit and sort of break it in. Cus an 87 with 17k miles is just a lil over 1k miles a YEAR... not good on a rotary engine... make sure as soon as you get it to treat it as it was a new car which means regular oil changes, and such. make sure you check vacuum hoses boost hoses and everything...also try running premix for the first month, to sorta clean everything out.... but back on the boosting subject, on the stock turbo you could pretty much make good power to run low 13's, any boost over that you'll actually loose hp... but for the cars sake drive it.

Shaggy
05-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Well...84, did you get the car??