PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Vert Engine Locked Up???

Brehmster
06-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Hello, I am hoping someone can shed some light on my problem and maybe save me a lot of work and frustration. I recently purchased my second black 1990 convertible at a local auction for $750 bucks which I planned to use for parts for my 1991 black vert. Anyway I towed this one home and cleaned it up and I am thinking it is to good to part out...good top, xcellent healdiner, passenger leather decent, clean carpet, body straight except for door dings. The story at the auction was that it needed clutch work, so I thought well worst case would be a bad tranny...I get it home and tear down the shift boot area and find that the drive shaft is twisted off at the yolk(u-joint busted) and the shifter rod section is broke of the transmission, the cast is actually broke. Clutch feels dead. Here is the kicker...I cannot get the motor to turn over. Starter clicks and wants to work but just cannot. I even removed the fan and tried turning it over with a break over bar from the front with out any luck. Oil looks good, a little low, Water is still present in the radiator. Is it possible that a bad clutch or a locked up transmission could keep the motor from turning over?? If all I needs is a tranny I will not part out but I have a feeling the motor locked up and twisted the drive shaft off and then maybe the drive shaft flung up and hit the shifter area and broke the case where the shifter rod is??? I thought it was pretty hard to lock up a rotary engine. Anyway if anybody has any tips or thiings to check that would be great.

:shock:
Thanks Eric

fc3s
06-21-2005, 03:55 AM
here are 7 things

1. Battery terminal connectionsloose or corroded or battery discharge or defective

2. Broken, loose, or disconnected starting circuit wiring

3. Starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear

4. Starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken

5. Starter motor or soleniod defective

6. Defective ignition switch

7. Engine seized, eccentric shaft won't turn

check them all to 100% sure... hope this helps

black rocket
06-21-2005, 05:14 AM
$750 :shock:

There's a possibility that engine may be seized due to blown apex seals (jammed between housing and rotor).

Nonetheless, you can get your money back plus parts you need ;)