PDA

View Full Version : POWER STEERING

justinius7
07-29-2005, 04:34 PM
I have an 88 GXL with Auto Suspension.

Twice in the past week the steering wheel is stiff at low speeds (as if power assist still things the car is on the freeway).

This happened again this morning, I turned the car off, and immediatly restarted it. The steering was then isuddenly back to "normal". Before turning off the I tried playing with the SPORT/NORMAL swith but it does not appear to fix the steering issue.

Is this possibly a mechanical issue or electrical. Where would i begin to diagnose? Shall I or do I let the system complely fail before attempting to fix it?

I've had the car for 12 years, besides an oil pump and alternator failing, I've had no issues. Oh brakes and a clutch :-)

black rocket
07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Ck your brake fluid pressure and accelerator switch... Also, use contact cleaner on all connectors (first, disconnect and spray with genernous amount of contact cleaner)

The car's been around a while and cking your electrical connections usually solve the problems.

justinius7
07-29-2005, 09:33 PM
thanks black rocket...

I must say, every time i post you give great help.. I will give that a try, and let you know how it goes.

black rocket
07-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Have fun!