PDA

View Full Version : 88 Vert will not run

chrisg
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Brief Description of initial problem:
While driving I turned and car started acting like it was not getting fuel. Went about 1 mile and then it died. Waited 20 min and it started up but died after 1 mile. Waited 2 days and then drove 6 miles and it died and will not turn over. Going on two weeks and the following has been checked.
: Fuel filter, Fuel pump, fuel pressure, Control colum wiring harness, Fuse boxes BOTH. Main Relay good. Do not have the igniter checker which should be next logical step (I believe).

Questions: How do you check the coil igniter unit (trailing and leading)?
Can it be the Control Unit?

Please advise.

Desperate for assistance.

black rocket
01-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Use multimeter and see if it's functioning.

You also might want to ck your grounding wires and while you're at it ck your vac lines.

How many miles do you have on your motor?

chrisg
01-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Got a tip from FAQ, just ran the check on the anti theft system. It failed all the recommended actions from the service manual. Could not get it to set at all. When I bought it the theft system was on and off. I quite setting it. Got water through the seals on the passenger side. I have 144,000 on the motor. Could the theft system cause this problem. It will turn over but not crank. No spark etc...
Thank you for the reply. Not much of a mechanic spent the last 20 years under the water. First project car. Although I have owned a 88 SE, 85 and 83.

black rocket
01-16-2006, 09:08 PM
If in fact the theft deterrent is in effect your vehicle should not crank.

I think it's best to trobleshoot from coil on... when was the last time plug wires were replaced?

It may have too much resistance.

chrisg
01-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Verified Theft Det. system is BAD through trouble shooting procedure and with help from Vehicle / Nuclear/ Electrician (friend from Navy). Unplugged the theft control unit. Car turns over will not crank.
Also verified Coil has 12V out. Spark is making it to the engine.
Question: If theft Det. control unit is taken out of circuit can it effect the electrical control unit? Our thought is it could be telling the control unit not to fire? Scratching our heads. Might have to bite it and go to Mazda. No Mazda techs. outside of dealer in this area. Once again thanks alot for your suggestions.

chrisg
01-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Verified no spark at plug. Pulling the EGI computer to see if it is bad.

black rocket
01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
No...Don't do the dealer, especially for electrical. If possible, trobleshoot it yourself. They CHARGE by the hour, you know.

chrisg
01-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Understand, I am a Navigation expert. No experience in electrical. Just checked their rates (Mazda). Wow. I am studying electrical at college and then will continue trouble shooting. Thanks for the reply.

black rocket
01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
You're welcome...and many dealers aren't staffed with rotary guru either.

SRTx781
03-03-2006, 12:41 AM
i have hte sema problem as well...when i try to crank the engine just turns over but wont crank and after 5 secs trying it smells like gas...i have 2 '88 RX-7's (both non-turbo) , one i know the engine isflooded..anyone have any comments on the "ATF" trick..in which i believe im supposed to take bottom SP's out then the EGI fuse and try to crank it...then put atf in the botton sp holes and turn it over..again and again about 4 or 5 times..it's supposed to restore compression...?!!

black rocket
03-03-2006, 04:55 PM
i have hte sema problem as well...when i try to crank the engine just turns over but wont crank and after 5 secs trying it smells like gas...i have 2 '88 RX-7's (both non-turbo) , one i know the engine isflooded..anyone have any comments on the "ATF" trick..in which i believe im supposed to take bottom SP's out then the EGI fuse and try to crank it...then put atf in the botton sp holes and turn it over..again and again about 4 or 5 times..it's supposed to restore compression...?!!

ATF will clean the internal carbon build ups... Make sure you hand crank and pour ATF in each chambers and let it sit and fire it up. and make sure you use your spare spark plugs to do this trick...as you don't want to ruin your good ones.

Won't crank or no spark? you should look into two things; 1, your starter, 2, injector (leaky injector) 3, ck your coils thru plug wires.

TII
03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Running and then dieing after heat is built up cane be a few things. Often a sign of a bad coil or bad fuel pump.

Id replace the fuel pump anway as the car is old, then see if the problem is still there. If it is grab some used coils and try them out.