PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Fluid Leak

tntfox
01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Almost overnight, my clutch pedal has almost no resistance until it is almost to the floorborard. There was a puddle of fluid under the left front of the car which I am assuming is clutch fluid. I had just enough clutch to get the car in gear, but not much more.

Can I just fill up the reservoir so to hopefully restore some of the clutch pressure so I can get it to a shop? If so, is the clutch fluid reservoir the small, round one that is mounted to the firewall next to the brake master cylinder?

All the caps say to use DOT 3 fluid, but all I find in the parts store is DOT 3 Brake fluid. Is this the same stuff?

Thanks

'91 RX7 Convertible

black rocket
01-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Your brake master probably took a dump...

and yes, DOT3 it is. Needs to be careful what type of brake fluid you put in.

You should ck your brake lines and either needs to replace or rebuild your cylinder.

tntfox
01-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Actually, my brakes dont seem to be the problem. It's the clutch and I'm guessing that they are not related systems. Am I missing something?

black rocket
01-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Sry, I meant to say was clutch master...

both of them cylinders are on the drivers' side.

I'd ck your clutch thru inspection panel and see. And ck your clutch line (the rubber one connecting from master to slave.

tntfox
01-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Ok, so just to be clear ... the clutch fluid reservoir is on the drivers side and is about the diameter of a silver dollar. Where is the slave cylinder? I had a slave cylinder fail on a Nissan a few years ago and it was directly under the transmission. Should I be able to see the slave cylinder looking down on the engine?

If it is a bad slave, is it true that it is easy and recommended to rebuild it? I saw someone say that rebuild kits are available all over for about $20.

Thanks

black rocket
01-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Slave is located right on the bell housing and you can see it. from the engine bay (look down toward tranny).

There's a black hose that's attached to master going to slave located on the firewall.

Rebuild...that's up to you but, you can buy slave for like shy of $30.

Before you go out and buy it make sure the source of leak ;)

tntfox
01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks man. I appreciate the help.

TGF