PDA

View Full Version : New FC! Asking for general info/help

veebee
04-03-2006, 04:21 AM
I recently purchased an FC (90 GTU). The engine is in immaculate condition, which was an incredible surprise when I popped the hood. The car has obvious wear and tear on the paint, on the interior, etc. It runs great, as far as I can tell, but I'm no rotary expert (I drive a 240, too). The car has 147k miles on it, and I don't know if the engine has been rebuilt or not. Either way, there are 2 minor things that I noticed. There is no intake filter or airbox. I have already countered this problem by ordering a blitz intake from racing beat. There is an exhaust leak, but it's luckily between two pipes meaning either the gasket is bad or it's just not tightened enough. Other than that, I would just like to know of other things to look for that I could find myself. It feels like there's some power being robbed somewhere... there's not as much kick as my 240, but, again, i'm no rotary expert. Finally, the battery is probably a piece of shit, but it could be something I don't know about. The car hadn't been started in a month+ before I found it, so the battery was obviously dead as it can be. It takes a few tries to start it now. I'll probably end up getting a new battery anyway, which will most likely fix that.

Also, I'd like to know some do's/don'ts to help prolong the life of my newly acquired rotary.
I know to let it warm up before driving it.
I know to check the oil every other time I put fuel in it.
I know to keep an eye on the oil pressure.
I also know not to use synthetic oil.
A friend told me to use 10w-40 for the engine. Is that good?
It didn't come with an owner's manual, so how many quarts does it take? And what kind of oil/filter combinations would you fellows recommend?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

black rocket
04-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Welcome!

First thing I would recommend is to drain all fluids including tranny, brake, coolant, oil and drain your gas tank to prevent possible contamination.
Then, I would ck all vac lines (you should get it replaced with a quality silicone hoses like Hose Tech hoses), fuel lines and change fuel filter along with try to eleminate that exhaust leak.

Ck your grounding and ck battery cables (inside the wrap) for corrosion as it will increase resistance.

Try to remove carbon build-up by using ATF (you can find thorough procedure),

As it seem to have high mileage (unless it was rebuilt) I would drive accordingly.

I use HKS Megaflow 200mm intake filter, Atkins oil filter, and Royal Purple oil.

And then, get it tuned properly.

AND, I ck my fluids everytime before I start. Type of oil you use depends on climate. I use 10-40w.

That's all I can think of at this time...

Enjoy your new ride!