PDA

View Full Version : new member needs help

wanko1
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I bought a 1983 rx7 and the clutch master cylinder was empty i filled it wih recomended fluid and bleed the system clutch pedal still went to the floor so i bought a new master cylinder bench bleed it put it in and bleed the whole system still the pedal goes to the floor does it need a new slave cylinder and is there any special way to bleed it besides the way ths haynes manual tells ya?
ty

mar3
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
It's always best to replace everything in the clutch hydraulic system when it's time to rework it. I had great success keeping my cores and rebuilding both master and slave cylinders with Mazdatrix kits, but it takes time and attention to detail so the rebuild lasts...for me, that was in 2003 for the '83 RX7 I own.

If you plan on doing more stuff like this, I HIGHLY recommend you get a "one person" hydraulic bleeder kit. I got mine from Griot's but I had to modify a cap for the reservoirs to make it work right...the same cap works on both the brake and clutch master cylinders BTW as far as screwing them on and off. I set my compressor to its lowest setting on the tank (~1 psi), screw on my modified reservoir cap, fill the Griot's bottle with synthetic and then bleed like normal...well, almost normal. I've got Russell Speed Bleeders on all four corners of the brake system and also on the clutch slave cylinder...makes life a lot easier since air can't enter at the threads that way nor through the fitting because of the one-way ball bearing "valve."