PDA

View Full Version : Turbo questions

Wargoth
09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I just bought my 1990 rx-7 non turbo and my 1987 Turbo so im new to the rotory style, the turbo motor over heated from the previous owner but not to much i took the engine out of the 87 and took the intake and turbo off the block. Does anyone have any words of advice for putting the turbo on the nonturbo? And will it handle hi compression hi boost?

black rocket
09-22-2008, 04:14 AM
You're looking at S5 and S4 engine what are you going to do with ECU? Are you plannig on running with aftermarket EMS?

Your 90 n/a engine has 9.7 compression ratio versis to your 87TII 8.5. Lower compression has always been a preference for turbo.

What kind of boost are you planning running?

Wargoth
09-24-2008, 07:02 AM
i guess ill switch the ecu's over and i dont know how much boost the 90 will take without blowing im sorry for sounding dumb cause i dont know much about the rx7 except they are amazing cars

black rocket
09-24-2008, 08:40 AM
That question depends on how stock your engine is. Stock take 7-8 psi.
But, before worrying about boost you have tons of issues you will need to work with.

You will need either proper engine harness and ECU to go with engine or Standalone EMS. What are you gonna do with tranny as n/a and turbo models are different? Driveshaft lenghs and diameters are different.

It's probably better if you find a complete TII and build it up. That's my opinion.

It is amazing, indeed. It is amazing how such a little engine can whip out 600+ horsepower. I've heard some ppl have 200K miles on original engine. Yet, it can crap on you with less than 5k on a rebuilt.

Everytime I take my FC I always ck oil and coolant then I warm it up for about 5 min before I take off. I let my FC idle for a few min before I shut the engine.

I think if you're planning on give an extra TLC and common sense you'll be fine.

Wargoth
10-06-2008, 02:28 AM
yea i have the whole other car and just wondering is other turbo cars tranny and rear end diffrent then the n/a car and is their any tricks i can do with the intake to give it more power before i put it on the moter. thank you for your help sorry for my ignorance...

black rocket
10-06-2008, 05:47 AM
Don't waste your money on them OTC cool intake box. I'd apply cold air intake in FRONT of rad as it become worthless and effortless if you place cold intake box right inside the engine bay.

Wargoth
10-06-2008, 12:10 PM
1 last question i searched the internet and i cant find what type of oil the 90 n/a uses any hints on what type of oil and oil filter to use. again thank you so much for the help.

black rocket
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I use 20/40 but I don't drive my FC other than nice fair weather, and that, of course, should be modified based on ambient temp and engine factor. I use Atkins Rotary oil filter.