Rx7 Forum and Owners Club

Rx7 Forum and Owners Club (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-To's (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Replacing Apex Seals Through Exhaust (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232)

sar 08-20-2004 06:16 AM

Replacing Apex Seals Through Exhaust

I saw on an aviation website that some people have replaced their seals through their exhaust ports. Have any of ya'll seen or heard of that being done, how small do my fingers have to be?

Also would an exhaust port help? What does an exhaust port entail, from pics it looks like just a bigger whole drilled ut in the rotor housing.

black rocket 09-23-2004 03:02 PM

Re: Replacing Apex Seals Through Exhaust

Quote:

Originally Posted by sar
I saw on an aviation website that some people have replaced their seals through their exhaust ports. Have any of ya'll seen or heard of that being done, how small do my fingers have to be?

Also would an exhaust port help? What does an exhaust port entail, from pics it looks like just a bigger whole drilled ut in the rotor housing.

That's quite interesting, more info!

AusTexRex 09-23-2004 07:47 PM

My first impulse would be to say:
1. Not on cars it shouldn't be. Aviator rotaries are a lot easier to maintain.
2. How would you get to the exhaust ports well enough to do that without taking the engine out?
3. If the engine has blown a seal, I want to rebuild the whole thing, its just a flat out better idea.
4. thats enough, who needs more points, I wouldn't do it.

black rocket 09-23-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusTexRex
My first impulse would be to say:
1. Not on cars it shouldn't be. Aviator rotaries are a lot easier to maintain.
2. How would you get to the exhaust ports well enough to do that without taking the engine out?
3. If the engine has blown a seal, I want to rebuild the whole thing, its just a flat out better idea.
4. thats enough, who needs more points, I wouldn't do it.

I don't know...exhaust port is easily accessible and you can see seals...

On the other hand if there's a damage to anything else (like housing)...

I still want to see! Post a link!

2ROTORMOTOR 09-27-2004 06:09 AM

thats impossible. first of all, if there is enough play for you to get the seal out and in, then you need a new motor. At no time in the motor, should a seal be free to move around. ITs not like you can slide the seal out.

AusTexRex 09-27-2004 07:31 PM

Like 2 rotor said. The only way it could come out is if it were broken.
Even if this were possible, why would you want to put one new seal in with a bunch of old ones? Do the job right.

black rocket 09-27-2004 10:40 PM

Wouldn't you want even want to see how they propose doing that?

AusTexRex 09-27-2004 10:52 PM

Oh i'm very interested, but theres no link yet, and it doesnt sound possible or logical to do

2ROTORMOTOR 09-28-2004 02:34 AM

ok forget logical, its just impossible.. but im interested in reading how they would even attempt this

DarkAngelKamui 09-28-2004 02:44 PM

Ditto