Rx7 Forum and Owners Club

Rx7 Forum and Owners Club (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/index.php)
-   TECH Support (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   wireing harness (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63)

fc velocity 04-26-2004 10:20 PM

wireing harness

i have a 90 fc i was trying to start it the other day and my friend saw a spark coming from the harness nere the oil filter is there a way i can fix it or do i need a hole new harness thanx

Shaggy 04-27-2004 12:39 AM

Well, you might be able to fix it, but if I were you, with anything electrical, I'd replace it. Thats what I would do. ;)

AusTexRex 04-27-2004 03:02 AM

If it is a spark then it could possibly be an exposed wire which could be easily fixed with electrical tape. BUT since it is a spark and sparks can burn down your car I'd replace the whole harness.

Shaggy 04-27-2004 03:13 AM

Yep...you could just rig it with the taping of the wire..but change the puppy...unless you like to cook marshmollows with your burning car. :D

fc velocity 04-27-2004 04:22 AM

thanx i am going to change it u know where i can get a good yet cheap harness

AusTexRex 04-27-2004 05:10 PM

I've never seen one aside from the ones Mazda themselves sell.

2ROTORMOTOR 04-28-2004 02:46 AM

I dont think you may want to replace your entire harness for a wire... The only spark from around the oil filter I can think of is the starter wires.. Just replace those wires. There is a wire going to the oil pressure sending unit. but I doubt its that. Check what wire it is thats making the spark and let me know. No need in replacing the entire harness. When the harness is 14-17 years old the heat and oil residue tend to break down the plastic on the wires and that includes the connectors so be care full when disconnecting shit.. and if you can post a pic

Jeremy 04-28-2004 02:48 AM

You could call a few junkyards and find the year/model rx you have, and see if they have one thats been recked, or something... you can sometimes find a decent wireing harness out of old cars that still have plenty of life left in them, but, it might take some looking. I know the guys around here would just give it away for free if you took the time to find it and pull it out yourself, hey... its cheap!

fc velocity 04-28-2004 07:16 PM

ill put up a pic as soon as i can get a camra. every thing happened about six months ago i blow my clutch at 145 mph on the highway racing friends. i brought it to a shop to put in the cluch in, when they were done the trany was f*@ked. i had my landlord in the car to take him home did a smoke show and all of a souden my tack stopped working the light on the tack even stopped working but the car was still running i shut off the car at his house and it would not turn over sence that day.

2ROTORMOTOR 04-28-2004 08:48 PM

aiight bro go ahead and post the pictures up...