Rx7 Forum and Owners Club

Rx7 Forum and Owners Club (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/index.php)
-   3rd Generation (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Unreliable? (http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108)

PrincipleOfEvil 05-23-2004 01:57 AM

Unreliable?

Everyone I have talked to says that rotary's are unreliable. And the way they tell me how unreliable it is, make it seem it is as unreliable as DSM's.

So tell, me are rotary's specifically 3rd gen rotary's unreliable?

AusTexRex 05-23-2004 05:39 AM

The quick answer is no. If you want the long answer I posted it in the FAQ section before. It's a different kind of engine, so it's different to care for. As far as DSMs, they too are pretty reliable if you treat them right, coincidentally rx7s and dsms are in the higher ranks of japanese sport cars, which gives a natural motive for domestic drivers to label them unreliable.

Hollywood 05-23-2004 05:02 PM

here is the catch, I am sure most Rx7 guys would agree: its not that they are unreliable, as long as they are tuned right, they are just as reliable as the next car. but the Rx7 is one of those rare cars that truely likes to be driven hard, and people that drive Rx7s find this out quick. most people that drive Rx7s push them a little bit harder then they would other cars.

PrincipleOfEvil 05-23-2004 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood
here is the catch, I am sure most Rx7 guys would agree: its not that they are unreliable, as long as they are tuned right, they are just as reliable as the next car. but the Rx7 is one of those rare cars that truely likes to be driven hard, and people that drive Rx7s find this out quick. most people that drive Rx7s push them a little bit harder then they would other cars.

I love to drive cars hard. That is why my Dad ended spending a total of $1800 in the past month just to repair my car. Now my car needs a new cam. Maybe and RX7 is the car for me...:wink:

Oh, I drive a 1979 Pontiac Firebird Esprit. 350, 4 speed auto.

Shaggy 05-23-2004 09:09 PM

So Prince..you thinking about getting a 7?

marshall 05-26-2004 09:51 PM

they are one of a kind. I wouldn't own anything but a RX-7. They have flaws just like all other cars, but if you take care of them, they will take care of you. They are by far the best car to drive. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Johnny 06-05-2004 07:12 AM

yes like marshall has said before they're one of a kind they do have their bad side but its a good car to own..even though they're bad said is in the motor... anyone kno when these motors will start breaking down?

AusTexRex 06-05-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny
yes like marshall has said before they're one of a kind they do have their bad side but its a good car to own..even though they're bad said is in the motor... anyone kno when these motors will start breaking down?

Average life for a 13BT is 140-160k miles. For an FD it would be about the same if it wasn't abused. Although many motors have seen more than 200k miles and ran just as well.

What bad side is there to a rotary engine? That it puts out more heat? Aside from that they're more efficient, more reliable, the engine itself is less complicated (although support systems are more complicated) and it can put out more horsepower and torque at the right rpm ranges than a piston engine of the same size can.

Hollywood 06-05-2004 05:11 PM

I have never had a turbo motor last more then a year

Johnny 06-05-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood
I have never had a turbo motor last more then a year

hah too much of that street racing huh