Thread: 240?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 AM   #24
Fireplug

I know this post is old, but I'm new here and couldn't resist. Please don't think of me as singling you out, these are just some remarks that I'd like to comment on.

Where are you getting this information? OEM internals have been shown to hold around 300rwhp in the KA.
They've actually been proven up to just abour 450 now before the rods have problems.

Both have forged internals (proven) and both hold over 300whp on stock internals
Neither have forged pistons stock....both have cast pistons.

And assuming that what you're saying is true... why would anyone get an SR? Parts are MUCH more expensive, and in many areas in the country, smogging an SR is a hassle. If you're aiming for "moderate boost" than why boost an engine that will cost thousands to fix if blown over one that will cost you less than an aftermarket clutch?
Actually they're not. Most parts come right off of a usdm 2.0 from a Nissan Sentra.

A couple other points...

1. The SR20DET is a square engine. This means bore = stroke. The KA is an over-stroked engine, which means that bore < stroke. This means that at any given RPM, the KA has a higher piston speed. Higher piston speed means faster exhaust, which means faster spool. This means KA owners can take advantage of larger turbos without worrying so much about turbo lag.
This is somewhat true, however because of the KA's bore/stroke/head setup it cannot rev as high as an SR engine unless the head is built. therefore it cannot take full advantage of a larger turbo's higher rpm powerband.

As for SR's being god's gift...maybe not. But I think some of the main reasons why so many 240 guys go with the SR include: Aluminum block/head, (lighter motor = lighter car. it's been noted in SCC that the weight of the SR motor/tranny < the weight of the KA block alone) The SR's ability to lay down over 500whp in stock form with only putting in a headgasket, The SR's ability to rev higher, the aftermarket support for the SR is a lot higher than the KA, (though the KA is now becoming more and more popular and getting decent support), Parts are fairly easy to get for an SR, etc etc. I picked up my SR motor/tranny/harness for 500.00 and was laying down 13.0's @ 105 on the stock turbo with bolt-ons...not too shabby considering it had no tuning or weight reduction and a 1.9 60'. Don't get me wrong, the KA is not by any means a bad motor..I've considered building one on the side for shits...but each motor has its own perks.

Precision PT67
11.5 @ 125 (18 psi)
Fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote