View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Originally Posted by Shaggy
Nice....is this the original owner of the car, what color is it?? Sounds like a nice car with only 17,000 original miles on it. Is there any damage to it?
Good Luck..
He said it was black with maroon interior.

My word of advice to you, take it or leave it, is to get both rotor's compression tested. Anything above 100 is good. anything above 90 is somewhat acceptable. I wouldn't buy anything under 100.
Also you can pick up a nice interior'd TII for 500 bucks with a blown motor. Send the motor to a guy named Kevin Landers who will rebuild it for 1000 and it will run good as new then drop it back in and boom.

The problems with 17,000 original miles:
-It's possible but unlikely (I know a guy with 12,000 on his 87 vert
-Rotary engines aren't conventional in many ways, they need to be revved to high rpms every once in a while, and pushed on. Raced engines aren't bad on rx7s. Although raced trannys and such.. eww.
-17,000 could mean it sat a lot, which can lead to corrosion of many parts, carbon buildup on the rotors themselves, sitting oil in the system without being changed for months on end... the list goes on.
Get the car compression tested and if it read 100+ on both rotors it's a good engine and you can buy at peace with the engine. The rest of the car may be different though.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote