Thread: Enigne up-keep
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 07:20 AM   #22
Johnny

Default Re: Enigne up-keep
Originally Posted by AusTexRex
Originally Posted by ZpSand
I am thinkin about getting a 3rd gen RX-7, and i was wonder how you keep the 13b rotory engine running...i've heard they can be unreliable
Those are just rumors because a lot of people didn't know how to care for a rotary engine, blew them, then bashed the engine for it.
Change your oil frequently and monitor it's level as oil is part of the combustion process. In the past using Synthetic oils would destroy a rotary engine as they were not as refined as they are now. Supposedly they work fine now, but I still use straight oil myself.
Aside from that take it out at least once a month and blast the rpm hell out of it (don't redline though) and get it revved up, this'll blow a lot of the crap out of the engine. If you're still having problems it's most likely a carbon buildup (the reason you should only use 92+ octane) and there are ways to clean that without taking the engine apart.
Summary: They're reliable as hell, pistonheads are just scared of a new engine. They did the same thing to the boxer 4 (WRX engine).
"newb question"
so when would be a good time to change the oil every ?? miles?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote