Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
Sonik11
Junior Mod

Default new to rotary
well, i am definatly a car guy, ive had 9 cars and im only 20...from american muscle to 2 different 240sx's, even a couple hondas (my bad) and i just drove my first rotary powered car, a 1986 rx7 n/a. and i absolutely loved my experiance, the way it sounds, the way it revs quickly, the trans, everything. and now i want one, currently im looking for any model, (turbo II prefered) but do have time and resources to swap. any advice or tips are appreciated, is there anything i should or shouldnt want? thanks
Sonik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

As with most used cars look for the usual leaks, milage & overall condition of the car. Definately drive the car look for slop in the shifter, pedal feel & any maintence records would be nice to see. IMO I try not to buy cars from younger kids or that have been modded with no records kept. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Sonik11
Junior Mod

hey thanks for the help, ive bought a few used cars and know what to look for generally, i am just new to the rotary scene and was wondering if there are any key items to look listen or feel for engine-wise

thanks again
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Got you. Mainly look for leaks, coolant leaks on a rotary is a big no no. Heat is a big enemy to a rotary. I would say a high milage rotary might not be a good buy unless you plan on a rebuild. As far as the rest you seem to know what you are looking for. A compression check would be a good idea too. If I remember right 85 to 90 psi is the lowest acceptable range for compression. Someone can chime in if they have more info please.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

I would, personally, avoid modded ones and look for a stocker. As BoostedFC has mentioned, coolant leak, especially from the back of t-stat neck is a very nortorious spot which many ppl don't notice. Ck the inside of oil cap and ck for formy residue, which caused by coolant mixed with oil due to bad coolant/water seal = rebuild. Rotaries do run rich so cking exhaust for excessive residue does not mean much.

Once you find one, I highly recommend replacing fuel & vac lines as FC, 2nd generation, has been known to go up in smoke as fuel related components tends to give in due to its age and many ppl just keep trusting 20 yr old rubber hoses.

Hope this, along with others' suggestion will lead to your success in finding a good one!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Sonik11
Junior Mod

alright, so i found an fc that i am definatly considering buying, its a 1986 gxl n/a, 110,000 miles, and the good thing is it's one of my good friends cars. ive personally helped him fix it up from when he bought it (from an older couple) and got it running smoothly. the body is blue and is in pretty good shape for being 24 years old. ive driven this car and i absoluetly love it, no mods, no rebuild, all stock. it even had a mazda sport trucker hat from the 80's in the glove compartment haha. he is selling it for $1000 and im probably going to pick it up
Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #7

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

IMO for the money sounds like a good deal.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #8

black rocket
Full Access Member

Awesome, and welcome to the rotary world!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Sonik11
Junior Mod

i'm going to go ahead and try to pick this up from him, he said it runs and drives fine, just needs the FPR replaced, has good tires and new brakes as well which is a plus, hopefully should be able to pick it up this weekend
thanks again for your input.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #10

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Be sure to post pics when you get it.