Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
bigspillway85

Default 1991 Troubleshoot
Just picked up a '91 with 110k miles. Convert. 5 speed dark blue and immaculate. If i drive the car extra slow there are no problems. However, once i tach up over 3500 rpm under a load, the check engine light comes on, also the engine bogs down to almost no power. Once i turn off the ignition, the problem clears and the car runs fine. Until i get on it again of course. I am very new to the rx-7 and have no idea if this is a common problem or something more serious. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking to hold on to this car for a long time.

Thanks.
bigspillway85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
WordySanchez

Even money its your OMP which is electronic on S5s rather than mechanical as with S4s.

There are leads under the hood that you can plug a code scanner to, and it should spit a code at you. Find a copy of the shop manual somewhere online or buy one, worth their weight in gold. Replace the OMP, and put new oil lines on while you're in there, save yourself THAT headache down the road.

Disconnecting battery for a couple hours should clear the code and you should be good to go.

While you're shopping for that OMP either buy new, or buy two That goes for a lot of stuff, btw. In your ebay travels, swapmeets, whatever pick up bits that are good to have around. You have an n351 ecu btw, try to find another verifiably good one. I'd also look for convertible-specific CPU (if you like intermittent wipers) and airbag boxes (blue, under the steering column) that idiot light is annoying.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote