Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Rx7learner

Default my whip is smoking more than I do
I bought an s5 convertable a couple of months ago and I finally got it off the jack stands. I started her up and thought the cold start would give out still alot of smoke becuase it had been sitting. Im thinkin its burning up to much oil but I am not really sure how to check if it is. I can replace the parts but the diognostic part is not my strong point ha. please any suggestions would be helpful.
Rx7learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Well, congrats on your vert!

I would have recommended to initially lubricate well... but since it already fired it up, give it a bit of time to get seals well lubed.

I wouldn't go off until then, if I were you.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Rx7learner

it did end up smoking a lot less. I figured out that I have a really small coolant leak. I think my buddie said somethin about the water jackets. I was looking into it. I already know that when your apex seals go out its a definate rebulid but could I use bars stop leak to patch it up. cause I figured out that most of the smoke is burning water.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Rx7learner

Also could you give me some pointerrs on how to lower the idle. at the moment it revs out at 2500 even after it has warmed up.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well you could try playing with the idle adjustment screw on top of the throttle body first. As for the leak I have never used the Bars stop leak on any of my rotaries, but it has worked on my piston motors so sure why not. I'm sure Rocket may have some input also.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Rx7learner

I tried playing with the screw and it still is reving high. could it be caused by a bad gasket or something I may have overlook when putting the engine back together?