Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 1st Generation

1st Generation 1979-1985 Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Yoa01

Default Anyone ever tune one of these?
Hi all,

First of all, FIRST POST! Woot.

On to the topic at hand: I have an 1983 RX-7, pretty much completely stock minus the radio and removed bits of trim. I'm slowly working on not so much restoring it, but making it both look good and have some modern amenities, like built-in sat nav.

Among other things, I was thinking about adding a turbocharger. I know that some RX-7s had turbos and was wondering how a normally non-turbo car would handle it. Would I need to strengthen (read: replace with stronger) parts, or make any other changes?

Also, what else could I do in terms of tuning? I'm not about to try machining new rotors or anything drastic, but smaller things like cleaning, tune up (done), carb rebuild, new exhaust (done), spoiler, better tires (done), are just what I've been considering.

Thanks in advance.
Yoa01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
rxwhat33

Unless your going fuel injection your only option is going to be to find a blow through turbo kit for a 12a, google it theyre out there, pricey but you can find them, the stock 12a engines are easy to turbo as they were before mazda changed the design of the apex seals in the later 13b engines and the na versions of those cant handle too much boost unless you change the seals over to 1 or 2 piece, just dont go crazy unless you can find low compression 12 rotors which are very hard to find anymore, most 13bs turbo and na engine parts are interchangable, just do some homework you will find what you need. Good luck!!

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
rxwhat33 is offline   Reply With Quote