Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
zebatov

Default Few questions
Mazda is displaying the 16x on their site. I'm not sure how far along it is. If it's released yet or not. I didn't really read into it. I'm just wondering if it's a possibility/feasible to make a (what I would assume to be) 24x by adding a seperate housing and all necessary parts.

Also, I was talking with my friend a while ago who's owned and worked on his fair share of FCs and FDs about titanium rotors/rotors made of other metals/alloys. He said titanium is illegal but I'm pretty sure I Googled it and found that you can buy it for around 20-30 dollars a pound. Has anyone heard of anyone using titanium or magnesium rotors?

The Furai, Wiki says "is powered by a new generation 3-rotor wankel engine that puts out 450 brake horsepower". Is the engine just a 24x like I mentioned above? It sounds so sick in the videos I've seen.

Last edited by zebatov; 08-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
zebatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

To make a 3 rotor version of the 16X you would need these.
1. extra housing
2. extra rotor
3. custom eccentric shaft for the extra rotor
4. another mid plate
5. engine balancing
6. lots of money

The 16X should be a promising motor, but if power is your goal stick with what has already been through R&D. Give it time for this new motor find a place, it isn't even out yet. The Furai is not your typical car & it's closer to the Le Mans cars so Mazda put a lot into it.

Titanium rotors would be too expensive, Mazda had already played around with Aluminum rotors & decided that they would be to expensive. The material is just one part of the equation. You still have the milling, balancing & someone willing to make them.