Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Turfguy

Default New Rotary owner- turbo question
hey gang-
thanks for the site; I own a 5.0 mustang, & a 77 Datsun 280z, & now am the proud owner of a black 87 turbo II RX7 coupe. Parts are missing from the engine, & I'm combing junkyards & craigslist to try & complete it. Also trying to find any friends locally who work on rotary's, as its a fresh start for me.
I have an HY 35 turbo off a cummins diesel that I was going to install on the Datsun, but I'm probably selling the 280 now that I have an rx7- too many projects. I'd rather put it on the rx7.
Question is, do you have to revamp the ecu or mass air meter / sensors, etc. to run a bigger turbo? What all is involved in using a bigger turbo? Any help would be appreciated-thanks!
Turfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Well to start Welcome to the forum. On behalf of upgrades, just like any other car if you want it to perform better then you change/alter things to work with each other. Normally when using a larger then factory turbo you are looking increase power, so you are going to need more fuel & timing control. This is where ECU upgrades or aftermarket ECU's come in. I'm sure you are aware that there are other areas that will need attention as well. As far as sensors depending on the level of build will determine what will be needed of better to use. You mentioned finding local guys, where are you located? Also what year Mustang is it that you own?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #3

shannonspeelman1231

im knew to rotary motors too but its not my first turbo car i have owned alot of them u r gonna have to upgrade the fuel but as for mass air i dont think so look up a guy on here his forum name is boosted fc he knows alot about these cars oh how much for the datsun an is it turboed
shannonspeelman1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #4

Turfguy

I own a '90 7up convertible mustang. My power house ride lol
currently I'm in central ohio.
I'm looking to make it a mild build, using the popular cheap or freebie mods out there, & if I could get it into the mid 13's in the qtr. without alot of trouble or expense that'd be fine for me. Do they make ecu's from another mazda that would work or do you have to go aftermarket? If aftermkt. about what do those go for?
Turfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

I have done a few threads in the FAQ section here on this forum one is on some optional ECU/EMS systems that will help. The units I have listed there have links to each one's website with info on them & prices. The Rtek is a upgraded tunable stock ecu. Here is the link http://www.rx7forums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2194

Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

BTW on the Stang, did you stay with the 302 or something else. I have done work on a few 347 & 331 strokers. They turned out nicely.