Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 1993-Current Discussion

Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to justiparker@writeme.com
Default My '00 civic si was stolen... thinking about an rx7
As the subject states, my beautiful black '00 civic si with eibach springs, koni yellow adjustable shocks, and volk te37 gunmetal wheels was stolen recently, and I will be getting a hefty amount of money from insurance. I am thinking about getting an rx7 because they look like they just plain effing rule.

However, I've heard mixed stories when it comes to reliability with the car. Some people have said it needs a new motor every 80k miles.

I'm looking for any advice you guys can give me as far as what to look for, where to look to purchase one (ebay seems to have the best prices) and the overall reliability and cost to maintain the vehicle.

Thanks so much,
Justin
justiparker@writeme.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #2

black rocket
Full Access Member

Well, generally rotary engines lasts about 120K. But, I've heard there are rotaries with 200K and down side of months after rebuild.

Depends on your driving habits and maintenance.

Turbo itself on the other hand, it has approx 70-80K life in general.

The fact that you must bear in mind is you're looking at 10+ yr old car!

Lots of TLC should be given as you would do to a piston engines.

Yes, venturing into "unknown" is scary and it is. But, once you learn rotary, you'll be sure that the way to go!

Old 03-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
A good choice, the further you get away from that civic the more you'll realize that this might be a stroke of luck. Maybe not heh, if you got all your money back then it will.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to justiparker@writeme.com
Yes, I'm going to end up paying off my loan (8000), paying off my credit card debt (3000) and have $5000 left over. I had lots of valuable stuff in the car, plus an extra grand my insurance promised for the 4k in wheels/suspension I had, so that's where the extra comes from since the retail on the car is only 13,300. I found a 94 rx7 near me with 58,000 miles for $14,000, but I'm not sure how much money I want to spend on a car at the moment. I'm also looking at some 1991-92 mr2 turbos.

I loved my civic as much as anyone can love a car, but I need some more horses =)

Btw, what is the approximate mpg on an rx7? I drive very conservatively (my friends make fun of me) 90% of the time, and only really push my car when I need to embarass someone.
justiparker@writeme.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
That is how I drive. In my FC I average from 15-18 city and up to 30-35 highway.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:20 AM   #6
dRuNk-mEdIc
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to dRuNk-mEdIc
Not to be bashing you but theres FAQ all lot of it on the motor. As for me i have 140,xxx on it working fine. The man who owned my car be4 replaced the turbos. ALSO MOTORS DON'T NEED TO BE REPLACED AFTER 80K, THE REASON IS BEING, They are just like any car, you treat them right they will treat you right. If you bash that pedal, redline every gear every damn day, burnouts at every red light, expect to have some problems

You can put 20 grand into your honda and its still a honda.

My RX7.....well its an RX7.
dRuNk-mEdIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
jic

yeah, its all up to whats happened with the car. if the cars in good shape, why wouldnt it run fine?
bottom line, maintain and dont abuse
jic is offline   Reply With Quote