Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #21

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Rotary motors are not like your typical piston motor, a good exhaust system will yield decent amount of power for the cost. Remember a properly tuned exhaust will not only provide power but look & sound good as well. The company's that make rotary specific exhaust have done some of the guess work for you, thus the cost. Now on a highly modified car a custom exhaust designed specifically for your needs will source even more power. Another thing to think about there is always a trade off, more power will generally mean louder when talking about exhaust. Do not drill holes in the muffler or cat! If you want to try the gutted cat over a free flow cat, test pipe or pre-silencer that would be the choice, not drilling. You can take the cat off the car hit it with a torch then spray cold water in it. The change in temps should shatter the inside, make sure you clean all the debris. I still say go with at least a test pipe, they are cheap.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #22
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

But wount a test pipe make it super loud & ricey? Or will the 3 inch mufflers make it a deeper tone? And id just weld the test pipe on, i have a 4 inch k&n cone filter intake also.
rx7Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #23
dimitry03

be redneck and fuck it up with hangers =]
dimitry03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #24

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Okay I'm going to make it simple. You have a "Naturally Aspirated" rotary once you alter the exhaust it's going to be louder. Gutted cat opens the exhaust a degree & increases sound. Drilling the cat is a joke & provides no performance benefits, just noise. Test pipe adds to the over all increased flow & yes will be louder. A pre silencer will help keep sound down while increasing power. Cheap mufflers have the tendency to not sound good & be loud as well add no gain in power. You could mess around & end up with less power then from the factory. When talking about muffler choice sizing is just one factor, there still material, construction & design. These are some things will affect over all sound & power production.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #25
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Alright, i just want it to sound nice ithink gutting the cat is gunna make it sound dumb, i guess im just gunna replace the mufflers, and btw i use to have a subaru legacy gt and it wouldnt start and my dad for some reason thought to drill the cat and then it started and everything was fine.... Idk why just throwing that out there lol
Old 02-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #26

black rocket
Full Access Member

The reason for hollowing out older vehicles' cat is to unplug whatever trapped in its maze and allow it to breathe a little, unless you want to replace it.

But, like I said before I wouldn't skimp on mufflers if I don't have to.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Im not gunna get ebay mufflers, im jus gunna go to pep boys and find something since they have brand names, and as for the cat i wish i had more $ id get this: http://www.corksport.com/corksport-p...pipe-80mm.html