Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
emelo

Default whats killing my battery
I have an 88 mazda rx7 thats been sitting under a cover for aprox. 3 years. yesterday i put a new battery and terminals in when i tried starting it i got just the whiring of the fan. today i tried starting it and it seemed like the battery was dead. i changed the spark plugs and i had to jump it to get it going now it sounds like its trying to turn over but it wont what should i try next on my car?
emelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Considering that the car will not start I going to jump out there & say you are killing the battery by constantly bumping the car to start it. During the 3 years were you turning over the motor or did you just let it sit? If it has just been sitting have you tried pouring a little ATF in to the plug holes, this will help break up any carbon allowing the seal to move freely. This will make the engines smoke like crazy till it is burned out. Have you checked to make sure that you are getting fuel & spark?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
emelo

it was sitting the whole time hadnt started it at all what is atf? and how do i check for spar and the gas? thanks for the help
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

ATF is automatic transmission fluid. Do you hear the fuel pump kick on? Pull the injectors have them sit in a container & bump the key if you have fuel they will spray into the container. If not then you will have to trace down why not. (clogged filter, bad pump, old lines, dirty injectors or computer) As for spark pull the plugs bump the key look for the spark.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
emelo

thanks for the help ill let u know how it goes the car is a standard not automatic im not sure if its the pump but the fan kicks on and its followed by a noise that sounds like its trying to turn over but it doesnt
Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

No the ATF is for the motor not the transmission. I know you have a manual transmission & yes ATF is for an auto transmission, but in this case being used for the motor. If you re-read my initial post you will see that I said to pour it into the plug holes (spark plug), then crank by hand a few rotations to get evenly around the housings, let sit for a while & try to crank the engine over. By doing this it will help break down any carbon build up freeing the seals allowing compression. When sitting for long periods of time & not rotating the motor either by hand or cranking it over the seals will sometimes get stuck & the ATF trick sometimes helps. To hear the fuel pump listen towards the rear of the car.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
my black 88

I had the same problem...put the transmission fluid in the top two spark plug cylinders put the spark plugs back and wires and start cranking the motor...it took me three tries doing the same method before it finally work....smoked like crazy then went away...
my black 88 is offline   Reply With Quote