Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Lightbulb Some Clutch questions
Sorry if all my recent threads are annoying, I know how to drive clutch but i dont have that much experience yet, here are my questions: Depending on the resistance of the clutch pedal u can tell how worn ur clutch is? How much damage does a burnout do to your clutch? Ive heard once a clutch is broken in people dont fully depress the clutch pedal when shifting, shouldnt u always fully depress it? To do a burnout hold clutch in fully, rev to 3k rpms, slip off the clutch and fully depress gas? Thanks
rx7Noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #2

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

A sign of a slipping clutch when you hit the gas, the revs go up quickly & the vehicle speed does not. Different clutches engage differently. Burn outs do take their toll on your car, so I wouldn't suggest doing them to show off. In doing the burn out the RPM will vary depending on the size of burn out desired & the power delivery. The travel of the pedal when shifting doesn't need to be to the floor just enough for engagement.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

My friend got a 01 integra and he had the stock clutch and he would go to shift and the car wouldnt take the gear.. I guess thats how worn it was and he still occasionally spins the wheels lol, but obv im assuming the higher the rev to the burnout when u stomp the gas and dump the clutch the more damage is done to the clutch but how much damage is really done to the clutch? I got my car from a police auction and unlike my friends clutch whos pedal doesnt have much resistance mine has a good amount of resistance, also i wa wondering my gas pedal freely depresses about 2 1/2 inches before it even gives gas is there a way to tighten that?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

You can adjust the throttle cable. It should have some play, but not be loose. If you tighten it too much it will start to open the throttle plates. Different type clutches will have different pedal pressures. If I remember you can adjust pedal travel on the rod between the pedal & master cylinder.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Alright thanks a lot boosted, and to tighten the e-brake cable u jus remove the plastic covers under the handle and tighten some screw? & It sucks not having any idea what kinda clutch i have =[
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Yep under the plastic covers by the handle is where the adjustment for the E-brake can be done. You could always drop the tranny to see what clutch is in there.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

Ok i have two more questions lol, 1: i was watching a jdm drifting video n he said you cant do 360's without an LSD 89 gxl fcs have a lsd rite? And lsd means the torques distributed more evenly to both rear wheels so they can both break traction correct? And #2: whats a 2 step launch control?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #8

BoostedFC
Full Access Member

Here is a pretty decent explanation of an LSD.
from our FAQ section.
Only the following FCs had a LSD from the factory:
86-88 GXL
87-91 T2
88 GTU
89-90 GTUs (however not the 89-90 GTU)
It is also rumored that a few rare 91 coupes with both the A (upgraded the interior trim, added a power sunroof, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, and 4 piston front disc brakes and vented single piston rear brakes) and the B package (leather seating, a CD player, and rear cargo cover) came with a LSD, but you should note that Mazda denies that any FC other than the T2 came with a LSD in 91). You can also tell by looking at the differential as there will be a LSD tag on S4 cars with a LSD.

An idea of 2 step launch control.
Two-step is also known as a stutterbox and is a form of launch control. Essentially two-step works as a secondary rev limiter. Two-step works off of your speed sensor so it knows when you’re moving and when you’re not. When you’re not moving and the clutch is depressed, the motor will be able to rev and hold at a lower set value. This puts load on the engine and if you’re running a turbo setup will also build a few pounds of boost. Three-step just adds another step (no kidding) and comes into play after you’re already moving. Three step is a third rev limiter essentially and allows you to No Lift Shift. NLS also allows you to hold boost between shifts. So basically if you’re at the dragstrip and you roll up and stage, you will be able to slot the car into gear, put your foot to the floor and it will hold to whatever RPM you set the two-step for. All you have to do now is slip the clutch on the third yellow and proceed to launch.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #9

black rocket
Full Access Member

Alright, boosted!!!

There aren't much for me to say... other than the fact you really have to know your clutch to determine feeling soft or feels like your left leg would have muscle spasm for being so hard.

Just because clutch pedal feels soft that des not automatically translate to weaker engagement, visa versa.

My FC, for example, has Centerforce DF installed after a tragic disk shattering event. My existing clutch, in spite of excellent gripping force, has traffic jam friendly pedal pressure. Although the clutch system I had to replace was not stock its pedal pressure has always been tight and feels as though you have an excellent workout on your left foot after an hour or so driving in traffic.

Since you claim yourself a beginner, word of advise to you is always engage clutch fully between shifts to reduce unnecessary wear & tear to your system!

Yes, your friend may say you can shift w/o engaging clutch. So can I! But you'd be abusing your gear box and find lot of "shinys" on your next gear oil change.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
rx7Noobie
Full Access Member

F***! i thought my car had an LSD, without an lsd isnt it not that great of a drift car? & thanks a lot for the info.