Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > 2nd Generation

2nd Generation 1986-1992 Discussion

Old 04-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Send a message via MSN to Canaduh
Oooh, congrats on that, the idle problem is still tehre though, Let us know on the TPS and BOV, Have you checked vacuum leaks? That could be an indication for high idle.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #12

black rocket
Full Access Member

Thirdly under moderately hard(spirited) accelleration it kind of misses or bogs down or something. It starts to pull quite nicely but then, right when rotarys start to really shine, it just has no power and misses. You can feel the car just lose power when it "misses".

That could be due to secondary issue.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #13
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Let us know when you have an update

Old 04-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #14
NJGreenBudd

Default Update
I was doing some reading last night and happened to come across kevin landers webpage again. I found some useful info under the tech section on breaking in new motors. It turns out that a rough idle is gonna occur during the first 1000 miles of ythe motor's life, also that I had to change teh oil at 500 mi and then again at 2000 mi. Well we kinda drove past teh 500 mi mark on the way home from maryland with the car. So first thing this morning I went and bought some oil and a filter for it.

I changed the oil and noted that the old oil was still pretty new looking. Anyways, I starte dit up and let it idle for a maybe an hour. It stared up with finishing the warm up and then started to settle down to around 1000. It turns out the idle is supposed to be set high to help break in the motor, also the motor at this point has a kinda floating compression, that is that it changes with every hour the car runs or every mile the car drives.

So I'm no longer concerned with my idle, It runs great, sounds good, doesn't bounce around or anything.

The smoke hasn't been since that one time and again that could very well just be the motor breaking in, I guess it's common for there to be some assembly lube left over which gets burnt off and what not. The engine is sorting itself out and it seems to be running the best it has. i wa stold that the engine will start to run smooth and have a steadier idle as it breaks in.

The lack of power I think might be the old BOV which defifnitly needs to be replaced( my new Blitz SS is on it's way from Tokyo).

All in all I'm not nearly as worried as I was, i think I'm just overly concerned as it is a new motor and I don't want anything to happen to it.

Take care. Now I'm looking into my rear diff squealing and my stiff ass stearing.

Converted auto to 5spd:
K&N intake, Accel Ingnition wires, Mallory Hyfire VI-A CDI, Pace Setter header, Apexi N1 Dual Exhaust, Front Upper Strut Brace, KYB AGX's, Eibach Pro Kit.
Soon to have full AWR wide body kit.

***New 1987 Turbo II***

New motor from Mazda, HKS intakes, Blitz SS BOV(in the mail), APEXi N1 Dual exhaust, and a ton of brand new OEM parts.
NJGreenBudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #15

black rocket
Full Access Member

I saw you got flamed at rx7city...

Oddly, that never happened with my rebuilt (now it has 4-5K miles) I drove very conservatively during its first 1,000 miles.

At any rate, good that you feel at ease.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #16
Canaduh
Full Access Member

Default Re: Update
Originally Posted by NJGreenBudd
The smoke hasn't been since that one time and again that could very well just be the motor breaking in, I guess it's common for there to be some assembly lube left over which gets burnt off and what not.

Thats part of the reason you should change the oil in the first 500 miles, thre are some lubricants and things that should be gotten rid of! Anyways im glad things are working out for you, goodluck with the BOV!