Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 07-21-2004, 04:35 AM   #1
Xx_Slayer_xX

Default RX-7...capapble of being a daily driver?
Hi everyone. New to the forums...I was just hoping someone here could help me, because I had no luck at the supra forums I frequent so I figured I'd go to the source.

Anyway...I'm looking into purchasing an FD.
It's a 1993 R1, 5spd, 56k miles. There's 2,500 miles on the new engine/clutch, which was installed by a Mazda dealership (he has receipts), it's Carfax certified with a leather interior. The paint is no longer factory, the car had to be repainted because it was keyed up. Looks clean as hell.
Total after taxes and license fee came to $18.5k.
If I'm going to dump that much on the damn car I'd at least like to know that it'll last more than a week before I have to take it to the mechanic, and from what I've heard FD's are just grenades on wheels. However, I heard something about adding reliability mods and being able to use it as a very reliable daily driver. Is this true? Or am I just dreaming here? I need something that can take about 200 miles a week (average).
Someone please help...
Xx_Slayer_xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Yes, daily driving is fine. Keep the oil level correct and freshly changed. Monitor for overheating, and keep the car maintained. Rotary is reliable, just don't be an idiot.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Hollywood
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
upgrade the radiator, go with a Koyo. also make sure you are running the right kind of oil for the seasons. it might also help to "pre-mix" add a little oil to the gas, helps to lube up those seals. I do it every time I fill up, but I have to because of my Haltech, and removed the oil meetering system
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:07 AM   #4
dwayne mifflin

ok sorry to hyjack the post can someone explane how these cars oil there internal ...im used to piston motors.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 AM   #5
Hollywood
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
well the oil system works prety much the same way as a reciprocating motor. you have an oil pan and oil pump, oil is then pumped to lubricate vital engine components.
aside from all this you have an oil injection system that sprays oil into the cubustion chamber to lubricate the apex seals. that oil also come from pan, which is why you have to constanly put oil in the car.
you can eliminate the oil injection system, you just have to "premix" put a little 2 stroke oil in you gas tank at every fill up, much like a 2 stroke
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:48 AM   #6
turboRX7

Send a message via AIM to turboRX7 Send a message via Yahoo to turboRX7
how much 2 stroke oil and does it go the same for turbos?
turboRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:25 AM   #7
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
He's saying you can eliminate the oil injection into the engine by doing that. Cutting oil to the turbo would be terrible and would not only destroy the turbo, but a good chance of blowing your engine over time as well.
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote