Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > General RX-7 Area > TECH Support

TECH Support Technical Support for your RX7, Open 24/7/365. Post your problems and see if someone can help!

Old 01-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
Black Mantis

Default Newbie Needs Help------> May need a new motor??
Im new to this forum but not to RX7's. I have a 91' convertible with a single rotor 13B motor.

Im afraid the motor has reached its retirment. Im smelling burnt oil lately after normal driving (not pushing it) and I think the reason for the burnt oil is my main seal may be broken.

Unfortunatly, when it finally does blow, Im going to have to take the motor out and replace the seal on top of a $500 motor removal bill.

My question is, since im sure that the motor is on its way out, is their any places that you recommend are good for crate motor's?

When I do order a new motor, I would like it to come built with a turbo. I wanna convert this 91' 13B ito a turboed 13B.....do I have to do anything with the computer?
Black Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
remove the engine yourself. for 500 you can buy the crane that helps you do that, probably for less actually. If you get a 13BT I'm not sure if you'd need a new ecu, but if you can spare it go with a standalone haltech ECU, it's better in the long run by far
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
AusTexRex
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to AusTexRex
Oh and clean any places on your engine that you see oil on. Chances being it's not your engine, that would smoke a lot. It could be a variety of other things though, blown oil pedestal o ring (check that quick it'll leak onto your clutch and ruin that too)
AusTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #4
Black Mantis

Thats the thing, ive never removed a rotary engine and i really dont have the time to do it myself even though i love taking things apart and putting them back together....i always thought that was the best way to learn.

But I was considering a new turboed motor that comes built to handle a small turbo, like a T3 or T4. Im new to rotary performance so im afaid my knowledge to these sites are limited.

Do you know of any good places online that sell rotary engines with turbo's that I can drop in and drive?

-Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 AM   #5

black rocket
Full Access Member

Try Atkins Rotary

Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
Black Mantis

Thanks guys.