Welcome to the Rx7 Forum and Owners Club.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Rx7 Forum and Owners Club > Specific RX-7 Models > Other Rotary Powered

Other Rotary Powered Other rotary powered vehicles.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:40 AM   #21

black rocket
Full Access Member

Man, those are kit car from NZ...

It seem to have some issues according to its newsletters...

"WINDUP – Part 4(?)

Well here we go again… yet another three (yes three) years have past since I last informed you all of the status of Windup’s rebuild.

One of my main stipulations during this protracted rebuild has been that everything on the car article should be as neat and reliable as a modern car. Another stipulation was that all parts used should have minimal modification from standard.

These two seemingly minor points have upon occasions become major hurdles that have required much head scratching to overcome for example;

When remounting the old Torana back axle I decided to adopt a 4 link with reversed Watts linkage layout. I planned to use standard Toyota trailing arms and these positioned the axle centreline 55mm rearward of the original layout. To keep the wheels and guards central it was decided to extend the rear section of chassis by 100 mm .

This had the additional benefit of allowing a larger fuel tank to be installed.

Another hurdle was the decision to extend the scuttle by 200mm at the front to provide room for the engine management computer and other necessities like heaters and the such like.

First I cut the rear section off an old bonnet and proceeded to cut it down to size so that it fitted beneath the bonnet. Then after 3 or so attempts and with much help from Steve (fibreglass fingers )Hutchison it finally looked the part.

It was then up to me to fit all the "stuff" under the available space."

At that newsletter was written only handful were completed... How far along is yours?

Old 12-16-2004, 04:54 AM   #22
Psycho_Dad
Full Access Member

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho_Dad Send a message via MSN to Psycho_Dad
car is complete, minus engine, engine auxilleries(including radiator), gearbox, engine mounts, and a decent diff ratio(current ratio 2.5 or somthing)... aside from that, car is complete

geabox turns up xmas day - series 6 batty one
engines sitting on the floor of my living room... front housing is cracked so i have to take it off and repair/replace,
i still have to buy
-powerfc
-t04e turbo(or maybe somthing else)
-custom manifold
-radiator
-fuel pump and new lines
-custom d/shaft
and a few other bits and pieces, im guessing USD$3500 to complete

cheers
Psycho_Dad

Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #23

black rocket
Full Access Member

Well, good luck!

Do you have rooms to put them all into it? (no sarcasm) After finding out the dimension... It'll be a challenge, I'd figure.

Because you really don't want to compromise with small rad with rotary and especially with turbo as you're thinking of slapping it on IC placement will be crucial.

What size and tires are you planning on running with that car?

Old 12-17-2004, 06:17 AM   #24
Psycho_Dad
Full Access Member

good question black rocket... yeah the radiator cc's will have to be sacrificed.. so i may have to go with a thick alloy one... luckily chevrons are completely customisable... so ill be sure to have a fair bit of air ducting out the sides to swirl around the engine, its not much, but any degree will help
oil cooler will go 1st, then intercooler, then radiator.. ill set it up with alloy plates and stuff like circut cars do so that everything breathes.... exhaust has to be completely custom made so that it clears the steering collumn.... as i said it used to have a 13b so i think a 13b rew. shouldnt be too difficult... well black if you have any ideas... you know just annoying suggestions or anything, feel free to expand my mind

cheers
Psycho_Dad

Old 12-18-2004, 03:25 AM   #25
Psycho_Dad
Full Access Member

ok turns out it does come with engine mounts, for a 12a turbo, just have to work out how to mount the 12a turbo front plate onto the 13brew and shell bolt in easy...
oh yeah and tyres at the mo are yokahama 205/60/13's... cant go much wider or bigger unless i refabricate new rear guards... which is just fibreglassing so shouldt be too difficult if i feel the need

cheer
Psycho_Dad

Old 12-18-2004, 03:38 AM   #26

black rocket
Full Access Member

You'll need to modify your engine mount as you're planning on putting 13B REW. Which is different from 13B and of course 12A, BTW...

Old 12-18-2004, 03:51 AM   #27
Psycho_Dad
Full Access Member

yeah i know, is their any way tho of adapting the 12a turbo frount cover to the 13brew? or is it just too much hard work???
cant really 'adapt' the mount since its setup to bolt onto the front cover, and the front cover of a rew lacks sufficient mounting bolts
cheers
Psycho_Dad

Old 12-18-2004, 04:29 AM   #28

black rocket
Full Access Member

13B REWs' cooling system chambers are designed slightly differs to sustain and reduce more heat for what it produces.

So, I personally wouldn't even think of doing that trick to defeat its purpose of having such a great motor like 13B REW.

Old 12-18-2004, 04:30 AM   #29
Psycho_Dad
Full Access Member

welll then i consider myself pwned....

Old 12-18-2004, 04:49 AM   #30

black rocket
Full Access Member

Why? Just go to (suggestion) your local junkyard and see if you can find FD front end and see if you can somehow mod it and see.